I love salsa. Here in California, this condiment is an essential for our Latin-inspired cuisine. The problem is that store-bought versions are pretty rubbish, so I’ve been experimenting to create the perfect fresh, restaurant-style chipotle salsa recipe. I wanted something not too saucy, not too spicy, but fresh and flavorful. You guys – this is it. This cultured chipotle salsa is off-the-hook.
With the optional addition of a touch of fresh whey or sauerkraut juice this killer salsa becomes a probiotic-rich health food. If you like it spicier, feel free to add more chipotle or a diced jalapeno or two.
I’m planning on making gallons of this stuff while I have heirloom tomatoes and peppers fresh off our garden vine. I’ll freeze it without the whey and then culture it when I defrost it. Come wintertime we can still relish the joys of summer’s harvest.
Cultured chipotle salsa ingredients
- 3 medium sized tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 2 mild green chile peppers, seeded and roughly chopped
- 1/4 red onion, roughly chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. raw honey – find raw honey here
- 1/2 cup packed, minced cilantro
- 1/2 tsp. paprika
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. ground chipotle – find ground chipotle here
- Juice of 1 lime
- Sea salt to taste
- 1 T. fresh whey or sauerkraut juice (optional for culturing)
Cultured chipotle salsa method
- Place all ingredients in a food processor and pulse a few times until desired consistency is reached. (I prefer a fairly smooth salsa, but you may like yours chunkier).
- If you have added whey or sauerkraut juice for culturing, allow the salsa to sit on the counter top overnight, covered, before transferring to the fridge. You can eat some at any time. Salsa should keep for 1 week uncultured and for several months when cultured.
Want more delicious simplicity in your life?
Even for the most organized families, getting healthy dinner on the table can be such a challenge.
That’s why I am thrilled to introduce Real Plans – our new online meal planner that will revolutionize the way you get dinner on the table.
- Stuck in a rut with the same old dinners? Our delicious, home-style recipes are kitchen-tested and family-approved.
- Got special dietary restrictions or tastes? We offer paleo, vegetarian, gluten-free and dairy-free plans in addition to traditional real food menus. Plus you can add and change recipes to your heart’s content.
- Family of eight or party of one… We’ve got you covered with fully customizable portion sizes.
- Dread grocery shopping? Our dynamic smart phone app makes shopping a breeze.
Plus handy bonuses like…
- A weekly timeline to help you spend the least time possible slaving away in the kitchen.
- Plan ahead options including a month’s recipes in advance, plus a double recipe each week to bank ‘fast food’ in the freezer.
Click here to subscribe to Real Plans now
Traditional, Paleo, Vegetarian, Gluten-free, and Dairy-free plans available
Our 30 day money back guarantee makes Real Plans RISK FREE!