It seems like 7 out of 10 people I shook hands with this week had just sneezed on that very same hand….Whether born of allergy or cold, everyone seems to have the spring sniffles. Through the muffled coughs, sneezes and weezes I hear a lot of remedies being traded about but, you know folks, I find more and more in life–my mama’s always right.
Whenever I was sick my Mom always made me chicken soup. Comforting doesn’t even begin to describe the way that soup makes me feel. Just the smell is healing. I swear it! It soothes a scratchy throat, settles a tossing tummy and clears the way to breath in fresh air. This recipe is so simple, so delicious and will put you right. I promise.
Mama’s chicken soup ingredients
- 3 lbs chicken* (preferably from chickens raised on pasture), cut into 2-inch pieces – buy pastured chicken here
- 4 tbsp butter or chicken fat (preferably from chickens/cows raised on pasture)
- 1/2 tsp unrefined sea salt
- 1/2 coarse ground pepper
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 quarts chicken broth
- 1/2 tsp dried rosemary (this is the secret)
- 6 carrots, peeled, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 3 stalks celery, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- fresh parsley to garnish (optional)
Mama’s chicken soup method
- In a heavy bottom pot, melt the butter or chicken fat (or a mixture) and add the onion and celery.
- Once the onion has become tender and fragrant, add the garlic, carrots and rosemary.
- Stir occasionally for 10 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper.
- Add the chicken broth and bring to a boil and turn down to a simmer.
- drop the chunks of raw chicken meat into the broth a few at a time so that they do not stick together in the broth.
- cook until chicken is tender and one all the way through.
- When serving, sprinkle a little dried parsley on top.
*Chef’s Note: You may use any cut or combination of chicken meat cuts you and your family like. This recipe is conducive to any you choose. Though I am not a big fan in general of white meat, my favorite cut in this soup in breast meat. So, whenever making bone broth, I cut out the breasts, set them aside and freeze them for the day when I make this lovely soup.
Active Time: 30 minutes
Yields: 3 quarts
Want more delicious simplicity in your life?
Even for the most organized families, getting healthy and delicious meals on the table can be such a challenge.
That’s why my hubby and I created Real Plans – our online meal planner that will revolutionize the way you feed your family.
- Stuck in a rut with the same old dinners? Our delicious, home-style recipes are kitchen-tested and family-approved.
- Got special dietary restrictions or tastes? We offer paleo, vegetarian, gluten-free and dairy-free plans in addition to traditional real food menus. Plus you can add and change recipes to your heart’s content.
- Family of eight or party of one… We’ve got you covered with fully customizable portion sizes.
- Dread grocery shopping? Our dynamic smart phone app makes shopping a breeze.
Plus handy bonuses like…
- A weekly timeline to help you spend the least time possible slaving away in the kitchen.
- Plan ahead options including a month’s recipes in advance, plus a double recipe each week to bank ‘fast food’ in the freezer.
Click here to subscribe to Real Plans now
Traditional, Paleo, Vegetarian, Gluten-free, and Dairy-free plans available
Our 30 day money back guarantee makes Real Plans RISK FREE!
“Mama’s Chicken Soup” was generously contributed by Monica Ford of Real Food Devotee. Monica’s delicious recipes will make your mouth water and your tummy purr. If you’re lucky enough to live in Los Angeles, Real Food Devotee can make your life easier by delivering nutrient dense goodies directly to your door.
Photo credit: An Eye Full Studio