Many times it’s the simple touches that make a meal magical. I recently attended a dinner where seasoned salt was passed around the table and loved by all. I decided to experiment with the idea of seasoned salt recipe using only nourishing ingredients and I have to tell you – I’m in love with this stuff!
Did you know that throughout history salt has been regarded as a panacea? Many ancient alchemists referred to salt as the 5th element. Indeed, salt is one of the founding components of life. Our health is so interwoven with salt that we could not exist without it. Salt regulates the water content in our bodies. It has been used for generations as a natural antihistamine. It is necessary for drawing out excess acidity from the kidneys to be excreted through urine. Salt even strengthens bones and helps to maintain hormonal balance. And where do we derive the vital mineral ions needed to conduct nerve impulses or direct muscle movement? Why salt of course!
Sadly, the table salt of today has been so chemically “cleaned” that it hardly resembles the salt harvested by traditional methods and praised by people down through history. Modern table salt is by and large sodium chloride, which, in our bodies, poses an over-tax on our excretive organs. To boot, it has been robbed of its precious trace minerals and thus have we. So, for this and all your recipes, be on the look out for non-processed salt that still contains a full compliment of minerals. For instance, Himalayan Crystal Salt contains 84 minerals needed by the human body.
As John F. Kennedy said, “All of us have in our veins the exact same percentage of salt in our blood that exists in the ocean, and, therefore, we have salt in our blood, in our sweat, in our tears. We are tied to the ocean. And, when we go back to the sea. . . we are going back to whence we came.”
Seasoned Salt Recipe Ingredients
- 2 cups unrefined sea salt, coarse grind – Find high quality sea salt here
- 3 tablespoons ginger, minced
- 4 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon pepper, coarse grind
Seasoned Salt Recipe Method
- Mince ginger and garlic. I love to use the shredding mechanism on my food processor for this.
- Sprinkle the minced ginger and garlic on a cookie sheet and set oven on lowest setting until they are completely dry. 1.5-3 hours depending on oven settings. You may also use your dehydrator.
- When garlic and ginger are dry, allow them to cool.
- Add all ingredients to a bowl and mix completely.
- Place a small amount in a bowl on your table and kitchen counter and store the rest in a jar or share with friends as this makes a thoughtful and nourishing gift.
Chef’s Notes and Tips:
*Make this seasoned salt recipe your own by adding tastes you know you and your family will love and use as a table staple.
Yield: Heaping 2 cups
Water & Salt: The Essence of Life by Med. Barbara Hendel and Peter Ferreira
Well seasoned: How salt can actually be good for you By Anastasia Stephens
Want more delicious simplicity in your life?
Even for the most organized families, getting healthy and delicious meals on the table can be such a challenge.
That’s why my hubby and I created Real Plans – our online meal planner that will revolutionize the way you feed your family.
- Stuck in a rut with the same old dinners? Our delicious, home-style recipes are kitchen-tested and family-approved.
- Got special dietary restrictions or tastes? We offer paleo, vegetarian, gluten-free and dairy-free plans in addition to traditional real food menus. Plus you can add and change recipes to your heart’s content.
- Family of eight or party of one… We’ve got you covered with fully customizable portion sizes.
- Dread grocery shopping? Our dynamic smart phone app makes shopping a breeze.
Plus handy bonuses like…
- A weekly timeline to help you spend the least time possible slaving away in the kitchen.
- Plan ahead options including a month’s recipes in advance, plus a double recipe each week to bank ‘fast food’ in the freezer.
Click here to subscribe to Real Plans now
Traditional, Paleo, Vegetarian, Gluten-free, and Dairy-free plans available
Our 30 day money back guarantee makes Real Plans RISK FREE!
This Nourishing Seasoned Salt Recipe was generously contributed by Monica Ford of Real Food Devotee. Monica’s recipes will make your mouth water and your tummy purr. If you’re lucky enough to live in Los Angeles, Real Food Devotee can make your life easier by delivering nutrient dense goodies directly to your door.
photo credit: An Eye Full Studio