Some dishes are so simple they don’t need a recipe. Instead the recipe serves to inspire the combination of flavors that you haven’t yet considered throwing together. This roasted cauliflower dish is one of those creative kitchen ah-ha moments.
It’s around this time of year that I start to grow weary of the same winter veggies that are appearing in my farm box. I’ve been know to swear at the pile of random turnips, rutabaga, and other root veggies piling up in my crisper drawer. And heads of napa cabbage and cauliflower taunt me to dream up some creative solution to get them out of my fridge.
But lately, I’ve been winning my imaginary war against winter veggies. I’ve discovered magical new ways to not only use, but actually learn to love the farm box bounty again. This recipe is one of my favorites, and despite the presence of two often shunned veggies – cauliflower and fennel – this dish is a winner with adults and small humans alike at my house.
Roasted cauliflower with fennel and sausage ingredients
- 1 head cauliflower
- 2 fennel bulbs
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 pound sausage – get forage fed pork online here
- 6 tablespoons butter or lard (from pasture-raised source)
- 1 tablespoon coarse sea salt – this is my favorite salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
Roasted cauliflower with fennel and sausage method
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Wash and separate cauliflower into florets. Cut fennel into 1 inch chunks. Peel and mince garlic. Slice sausage into discs. Melt butter or lard.
- In a large bowl, toss the cauliflower, fennel, and sausage with the garlic, melted fat, sea salt, and paprika.
- Arrange in a single layer on two large lipped baking sheets lined with parchment paper.
- Roast in the oven for 20-25 minutes, using a spatula to turn veggies and sausage after about 10 minutes. Serve hot.
Want more delicious simplicity in your life?
Even for the most organized families, getting healthy dinner on the table can be such a challenge.
That’s why my hubby and I created Real Plans – our new online meal planner that will revolutionize the way you get dinner on the table.
- Stuck in a rut with the same old dinners? Our delicious, home-style recipes are kitchen-tested and family-approved.
- Got special dietary restrictions or tastes? We offer paleo, vegetarian, gluten-free and dairy-free plans in addition to traditional real food menus. Plus you can add and change recipes to your heart’s content.
- Family of eight or party of one… We’ve got you covered with fully customizable portion sizes.
- Dread grocery shopping? Our dynamic smart phone app makes shopping a breeze.
Plus handy bonuses like…
- A weekly timeline to help you spend the least time possible slaving away in the kitchen.
- Plan ahead options including a month’s recipes in advance, plus a double recipe each week to bank ‘fast food’ in the freezer.
Click here to subscribe to Real Plans now
Traditional, Paleo, Vegetarian, Gluten-free, and Dairy-free plans available
Our 30 day money back guarantee makes Real Plans RISK FREE!