Some dishes are so simple they don’t need a recipe. Instead the recipe serves to inspire the combination of flavors that you haven’t yet considered throwing together. This roasted cauliflower dish is one of those creative kitchen ah-ha moments.
It’s around this time of year that I start to grow weary of the same winter veggies that are appearing in my farm box. I’ve been know to swear at the pile of random turnips, rutabaga, and other root veggies piling up in my crisper drawer. And heads of napa cabbage and cauliflower taunt me to dream up some creative solution to get them out of my fridge.
But lately, I’ve been winning my imaginary war against winter veggies. I’ve discovered magical new ways to not only use, but actually learn to love the farm box bounty again. This recipe is one of my favorites, and despite the presence of two often shunned veggies – cauliflower and fennel – this dish is a winner with adults and small humans alike at my house.
Roasted cauliflower with fennel and sausage ingredients
- 1 head cauliflower
- 2 fennel bulbs
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 pound sausage – get forage fed pork online here
- 6 tablespoons butter or lard (from pasture-raised source)
- 1 tablespoon coarse sea salt – this is my favorite salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
Roasted cauliflower with fennel and sausage method
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Wash and separate cauliflower into florets. Cut fennel into 1 inch chunks. Peel and mince garlic. Slice sausage into discs. Melt butter or lard.
- In a large bowl, toss the cauliflower, fennel, and sausage with the garlic, melted fat, sea salt, and paprika.
- Arrange in a single layer on two large lipped baking sheets lined with parchment paper.
- Roast in the oven for 20-25 minutes, using a spatula to turn veggies and sausage after about 10 minutes. Serve hot.