I eat a lot of soup. Soup is a convenient and delicious way to eat mineral rich bone broth and a variety of veggies. It restores my energy after a long day and awakens my body and mind at the start of a new one. I LOVE this soup because the warming herbs open me up while the coconut milk and bone broth sooth and fortify me. When I eat this soup, I feel strongly alive and deeply nourished. I hope you will offer it to your family and that you feel the same.
Thai coconut chicken soup ingredients
- Meat from 1 chicken – find pasture raised chicken here
- 4 cups chicken bone broth
- 3 cups coconut milk – find coconut milk (BPA free) here
- 4 tbsp coconut oil – find coconut oil here
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 cup carrot, chopped small or shredded
- 1 1/2 cup celery, 1 inch pieces cut on diagonal
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 inch knob ginger, peeled and minced
- 1 tsp flaked red chili
- 1 stalk lemon grass, cracked open (white part only)
- 3 dry or fresh kafir lime leaves
- juice of 2 limes
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 2 tsp unrefined sea salt – find unrefined sea salt here
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1 1/2 tbsp coconut palm sugar – find unrefined sweeteners here
- 4 cups rough chopped mushrooms
- 4 scallions cut in 1 in. pieces with diagonal edge (green part only)
- 1/3 cup cilantro, minced
Thai coconut chicken soup method
- In heavy bottomed pot, melt coconut oil on medium stove heat.
- Saute onions until fragrant.
- Add celery, garlic, ginger, red chili flakes, lemon grass and stir for three minutes.
- Add chicken broth and bring to a boil.
- Turn down to a simmer and add carrots, lime juice, fish sauce, salt, cayenne, turmeric, palm sugar and simmer for 3-5 minutes.
- Add chicken, mushrooms, scallions and cilantro.
- Simmer until chicken is cooked through.
- Stir in coconut milk.
Active Time: 30 minutes
Yields: 3 quarts
Want more delicious simplicity in your life?
Even for the most organized families, getting healthy and delicious meals on the table can be such a challenge.
That’s why my hubby and I created Real Plans – our online meal planner that will revolutionize the way you feed your family.
- Stuck in a rut with the same old dinners? Our delicious, home-style recipes are kitchen-tested and family-approved.
- Got special dietary restrictions or tastes? We offer paleo, vegetarian, gluten-free and dairy-free plans in addition to traditional real food menus. Plus you can add and change recipes to your heart’s content.
- Family of eight or party of one… We’ve got you covered with fully customizable portion sizes.
- Dread grocery shopping? Our dynamic smart phone app makes shopping a breeze.
Plus handy bonuses like…
- A weekly timeline to help you spend the least time possible slaving away in the kitchen.
- Plan ahead options including a month’s recipes in advance, plus a double recipe each week to bank ‘fast food’ in the freezer.
Click here to subscribe to Real Plans now
Traditional, Paleo, Vegetarian, Gluten-free, and Dairy-free plans available
Our 30 day money back guarantee makes Real Plans RISK FREE!
“Thai Coconut Chicken Soup” was generously contributed by Monica Ford of Real Food Devotee. Monica’s delicious recipes will make your mouth water and your tummy purr. If you’re lucky enough to live in Los Angeles, Real Food Devotee can make your life easier by delivering nutrient dense goodies directly to your door.
Photo credit: An Eye Full Studio