Do you fancy yourself a fearless fermenter? Have you made sauerkraut, chutneys and pickles galore? How were your pickles? Were they crisp and delicious? Tell the truth. One of the most frequent fermentation flops I see are hollow or soft pickles. It’s a shame, because crunchy pickles are a classic, fundamental, and encouraging way to begin your metamorphosis into a confident fermenter.
Here’s a little secret that our ancestral fermenters held as common knowledge. There must be sufficient tannins present during fermentation to yield crisp pickles. This includes ingredients like grape leaves, red wine vinegar, bay leaves, cloves, oak leaves and tea. This is why I choose to include grape leaves in my pickle fermentations. Summer is disappearing and so are the vegetables of this sun-kissed season. It’s time to put your cucumbers up as pickles for winter nights when you want to serve your friend charcuterie with crunchy pickles on the side.
Crunchy pickles ingredients
- Water, to cover pickles
- 4-5 mini cucumbers, whole
- 1 scallion
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1 frond dill
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 grape leaves*
- 1 ½ tablespoon unrefined sea salt
- 2 dried red chili, optional
Crunchy pickles method
- Lay 1 grape leaf at bottom of jar.
- Add cucumbers to jar vertically so that they are standing on end. They should fit together tightly.
- Fit scallion, garlic, dill, bay leaves and red chili in between cucumbers.
- Add salt on top of cucumbers.
- Place grape leaves over cucumbers like a canopy. The edges of the leaves should be pushed down below the shoulder of the jar.
- Cover entire mixture with water. Take care to leave an inch between the lid and water level.
- Fit lid on firmly but not tight.
- Allow to ferment (out of direct sunlight and in a room temperature environment) for 1-2 weeks.
Want more delicious simplicity in your life?
Even for the most organized families, getting healthy and delicious meals on the table can be such a challenge.
That’s why my hubby and I created Real Plans – our online meal planner that will revolutionize the way you feed your family.
- Stuck in a rut with the same old dinners? Our delicious, home-style recipes are kitchen-tested and family-approved.
- Got special dietary restrictions or tastes? We offer paleo, vegetarian, gluten-free and dairy-free plans in addition to traditional real food menus. Plus you can add and change recipes to your heart’s content.
- Family of eight or party of one… We’ve got you covered with fully customizable portion sizes.
- Dread grocery shopping? Our dynamic smart phone app makes shopping a breeze.
Plus handy bonuses like…
- A weekly timeline to help you spend the least time possible slaving away in the kitchen.
- Plan ahead options including a month’s recipes in advance, plus a double recipe each week to bank ‘fast food’ in the freezer.
Click here to subscribe to Real Plans now
Traditional, Paleo, Vegetarian, Gluten-free, and Dairy-free plans available
Our 30 day money back guarantee makes Real Plans RISK FREE!
This post was generously contributed by Monica Ford of Real Food Devotee. Monica’s recipes will make your mouth water and your tummy purr. If you’re lucky enough to live in Los Angeles, Real Food Devotee can make your life easier by delivering nutrient dense goodies directly to your door.
photo credit: An Eye Full Studio
This post can be seen at the following blog carnivals: The Morristribe’s Homesteader Blog Carnival, Traditional Tuesdays, Fill Those Jars Friday, Sunday School and Monday Mania . Hop on over to check out some other posts you may enjoy!