Food trends come and go, and whether it’s a fad or here to stay, these days folks love kale. Kale salads, kale chips, kale stir fries, kale smoothies. You name it, and kale is in it. It’s a full-blown kale-bonanza.
Naturally a bit fickle, I wasn’t fast to jump on the kale-loving band wagon until I tasted the Dr. Weil’s Tuscan Kale Salad at his restaurant, True Food Kitchen in LA.
Don’t get me wrong, I enjoy a nice bowl of bright steamed kale tossed with butter and sea salt, but the simple flavor combination in this salad – bitter, tart, and salty – had me truly captivated. I was thinking about this Tuscan kale salad at inappropriate moments – in the shower, while drifting off to sleep.
So I had to try it out for myself.
This paleo/primal version was brought about because of my mostly gluten-free hubby. I subbed almond meal for bread crumbs, and it’s still magically delicious.
All hail kale!
Paleo Tuscan kale salad ingredients
- 1 lemon
- 2 cloves garlic
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Sea salt, to taste
- Fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- Red pepper flakes, to taste
- 2 bunches black lacinto kale
- 1/2 cup almond meal
- 2 ounces Pecorino cheese – primal option
Paleo Tuscan kale salad method
- Juice the lemon and mash the garlic.
- To make the dressing, whisk together lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, salt, pepper, and a pinch of hot red pepper flakes in a large bowl.
- Finely chop the kale and remove stem and tough central ribs. Add chopped kale to the bowl with the dressing. Grate the optional pecorino cheese and add two-thirds to the kale.
- Allow to marinate for at least 1 hour in the fridge, preferably overnight.
- Before serving, add almond meal, toss again, and top with remaining cheese, if using.
Want more delicious simplicity in your life?
Even for the most organized families, getting healthy dinner on the table can be such a challenge.
That’s why I am thrilled to introduce Real Plans – our new online meal planner that will revolutionize the way you get dinner on the table.
- Stuck in a rut with the same old dinners? Our delicious, home-style recipes are kitchen-tested and family-approved.
- Got special dietary restrictions or tastes? We offer paleo, vegetarian, gluten-free and dairy-free plans in addition to traditional real food menus. Plus you can add and change recipes to your heart’s content.
- Family of eight or party of one… We’ve got you covered with fully customizable portion sizes.
- Dread grocery shopping? Our dynamic smart phone app makes shopping a breeze.
Plus handy bonuses like…
- A weekly timeline to help you spend the least time possible slaving away in the kitchen.
- Plan ahead options including a month’s recipes in advance, plus a double recipe each week to bank ‘fast food’ in the freezer.
Click here to subscribe to Real Plans now
Traditional, Paleo, Vegetarian, Gluten-free, and Dairy-free plans available
Our 30 day money back guarantee makes Real Plans RISK FREE!