I LOVE SUMMER! I do miss the hot summer nights, thunderstorms storms, and fireflies from my east coast childhood, but a California summer holds its own charm too. Here are some things that have made this month particularly memorable:
- Enjoying the roaring success of our family staycation. We spent no extra money, enjoyed the comforts of our own home and food, played at the local beaches, and had the neighborhood babysitter put our kids to bed so we could enjoy some grown-up time too.
- Packing picnics of homemade raw goat cheese, summer tomatoes, cucumbers, and peaches for trips to the beach.
- Trying out the theory – Sleep Makes You Skinny – by not burning the midnight oil and enjoy the rare mornings when my kids sleep past 7am.
- Watching my eldest learn to dive and perfect his back float (it runs in the family).
- Listening to my youngest as her language explodes and she discovers ten different ways to say “No!” (A phase, I’m hoping.)
- Making yummy fudgesicles – a nutrient-dense popsicle recipe complete with grass fed gelatin and… bone marrow. Yes!
- Dreaming of swirling some vanilla honey into coconut ice cream. What? It’s summer, frozen treats are for EVERY day!
- Finding a delicious mustard recipe to add to my collection of cultured condiments.
- Learning to s l o w down. (At least a little.) By eliminating extra driving, extra camps, and just keeping everything close to home.
- Finishing my e-book – The Eczema Cure.
Are you having a fun summer?
What have been your favorite moments so far?
photo credit: takot