I often hesitate to post about anything other than fantastic desserts, because it seems as though most readers prefer the fantasy of sweets over dinner ideas. But this simple yet flavorful zucchini spinach salad is too good not to share.
I spent the last four months working on getting healthier and slimming down for summer. Along the way, I found myself in search of satisfying recipes that didn’t pack on the pounds. Along with this perfect ceviche and this surprisingly wonderful roasted cabbage, this zucchini spinach salad is one of my favorites.
Simple ingredients often make the best dishes, and this salad is no exception. Zucchini, spinach, and chicken get a bit of zing from fresh mint, green onions, and a touch of parmesan cheese – all lightly dressed with good olive oil and lemon juice. I use leftover roasted chicken, but you could easily grill up some chicken breasts or thighs too.
To finish off this simple meal, serve this summer fruit salad for dessert. YUM without adding inches to my tum.
Zucchini spinach salad ingredients
- 1/2 lemon
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil – buy it online
- coarse sea salt, to taste – this is my favorite sea salt
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 1/4 pounds zucchinis
- 1 cups cherry tomatoes
- 4 green onions
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup fresh mint
- 1 pound cooked chicken, shredded
- 8 ounces baby spinach
Zucchini spinach salad method
- Juice the lemon. In a large bowl, whisk together olive oil, lemon juice and sea salt and pepper to taste.
- Thinly slice the zucchini, and cut tomatoes in half. Add the zucchini and tomato to the dressing and and toss to coat – allow to marinate while preparing the remaining ingredients.
- Mince the green onions, grate the parmesan, and dice the mint.
- Heat the shredded chicken just until warmed through.
- Toss the warm chicken with zucchini mixture. Add spinach, green onions, parmesan cheese, and mint. Season with sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste.
Want more delicious simplicity in your life?
Even for the most organized families, getting healthy and delicious dinner on the table can be such a challenge.
That’s why my hubby and I created Real Plans – our new online meal planner that will revolutionize the way you get dinner on the table.
- Stuck in a rut with the same old dinners? Our delicious, home-style recipes are kitchen-tested and family-approved.
- Got special dietary restrictions or tastes? We offer paleo, vegetarian, gluten-free and dairy-free plans in addition to traditional real food menus. Plus you can add and change recipes to your heart’s content.
- Family of eight or party of one… We’ve got you covered with fully customizable portion sizes.
- Dread grocery shopping? Our dynamic smart phone app makes shopping a breeze.
Plus handy bonuses like…
- A weekly timeline to help you spend the least time possible slaving away in the kitchen.
- Plan ahead options including a month’s recipes in advance, plus a double recipe each week to bank ‘fast food’ in the freezer.
Click here to subscribe to Real Plans now
Traditional, Paleo, Vegetarian, Gluten-free, and Dairy-free plans available
Our 30 day money back guarantee makes Real Plans RISK FREE!