Back when I was in high school on the swim team, we used to travel to Buffalo, NY for a big swim meet each summer. Part of the tradition was to pig out on the famous local cuisine – Buffalo wings – at the end of the weekend.
We would sit at a long table ordering them by the multi-dozens each with pitchers of soda. Guys and gals alike had contests to see who could consume the most deep-fried wings at the hottest spice level possible. Despite this gluttony, I still remember the taste of Buffalo wings and blue cheese dip with fondness.
Years later, I discovered that you don't need a deep fryer to make amazing wings. In fact, wings baked til the skin is crispy, then tossed into sauce are equally delicious. I love this recipe because the spice level is completely adjustable to your own taste, simply by using less or more cayenne pepper.
A fun Friday dinner and a great classic dish for those football parties, try this recipe once and I'm sure it will be a new family favorite.
Buffalo chicken wings ingredients
- 2 1/2 pounds chicken wings (preferably from chickens raised on pasture)
- 2 T. butter or coconut oil
- 1/2 T. sea salt
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
For the Buffalo Sauce:
- 4 T. butter or coconut oil, melted
- 6 T. apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 4 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- 1/2 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- Cayenne pepper to taste to your desired hotness
On the side:
- 6 carrots, peeled and cut into 4 inch sticks
- 6 celery ribs, sliced lengthwise and into 4 inch sticks
Buffalo chicken wings method
- Remove the tips from the wings with a kitchen scissors or sharp knife. Save in the freezer for making broth. Separate the drumettes and flats.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Set a wire rack inside a large rimmed baking sheets.
- Melt butter or coconut oil. Place wings, butter or coconut oil, sea salt, and black pepper in a large bowl; toss to coat.
- Arrange wings in a single layer on prepared rack. Bake until cooked through and skin is crispy, 45–50 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk the sauce ingredients together in a large bowl. Consider separating this sauce in half if you want to make half mild and half extra spicy. Prepare the carrots and celery.
- When the wings are done cooking, toss them in buffalo sauce. Serve immediately (no need to bake) with blue cheese sauce sliced carrots and celery sticks.
Blue cheese dip ingredients
- 3/4 cup yogurt, from grass-fed cows
- 1 cup mayonnaise (preferably homemade from this recipe)
- 2 oz blue cheese (I like Point Reyes)
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- sea salt and pepper to taste
Blue cheese dip method
- Place all ingredients in a blender or food processor.
- Pulse a few times until desired consistency is reached, and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper to taste.