Just in time for barbeque season and summer staycations, you’re going to LOVE these Greek chicken burgers with homemade tzatziki.
I admit, I typically turn my nose up at chicken and turkey burgers. I typically find them dry and tasteless. They are often touted as a healthier option because they are lower in fat and cholesterol, but I know that grass fed beef is a nutritional powerhouse and actually beneficial to the environment. Not convinced? Read this post.
To make these Greek chicken burgers, I took a combination of boneless breast and thigh meat from pasture raised chicken and put it through the food processor. If you’re lucky enough to have pasture raised ground chicken available, use that.
If you’re curious why, the meat from pasture raised chickens (and eggs from pastured hens) has optimal nutrition because the birds live in the sunshine and fresh air and they can naturally forage for greens and bugs. Second best would be free-range organic chickens (which are fed organic feed and raised indoors with plenty of room to move around).
The spinach, herbs, and feta give these burgers so much flavor and moisture. Cook them up on the grill (or the stove any time of the year). Topped with tzatziki, you could serve them on a bun or in a pita, but I prefer them on a bed of baby greens. However you serve them, prepare to meet your new favorite burger.
Greek chicken burgers ingredients
- 3 cloves garlic
- 3 green onions
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil – I buy this one in bulk
- 1 1/2 cups frozen spinach
- 1 pound ground chicken – Buy pasture raised chicken online here
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 teaspoon coarse sea salt – This is my favorite sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
Greek chicken burgers method
- Mince the garlic and chop the green onions.
- In a sauté pan heat coconut oil to medium heat. Add garlic and green onions and and sauté until for about 2 minutes to release the flavors. Do not let the garlic brown. Remove from heat.
- Ring out liquid from frozen spinach and mince.
- In a mixing bowl, combine all remaining ingredients. Form into patties.
- Grill or sauté burgers on medium heat until internal temperature reaches a minimum of 160 degrees.
- Serve hot with tzatziki either on a pita or a bed of greens.
- 1 large english cucumber
- coarse sea salt –This is my favorite sea salt
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 green onion, for garnish
- 2 cups strained yogurt
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil – This is my favorite olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill
- Peel and grate cucumber with a box grater or food processor with the grater blade. Sprinkle generously with sea salt and allow to sit for 5 minutes. Then gently squeeze grated cucumber over the sink to remove as much excess liquid as possible.
- Mash the garlic cloves to a paste. Mince the green onions.
- Whisk remaining ingredients together until well combined. Fold in shredded, drained cucumber. Add sea salt to taste and garnish with minced green onions.
- Refrigerate for at least 2-3 hours to allow the flavors to meld.
Want more delicious simplicity in your life?
Even for the most organized families, getting healthy and delicious dinner on the table can be such a challenge.
That’s why my hubby and I created Real Plans – our new online meal planner that will revolutionize the way you get dinner on the table.
- Stuck in a rut with the same old dinners? Our delicious, home-style recipes are kitchen-tested and family-approved.
- Got special dietary restrictions or tastes? We offer paleo, vegetarian, gluten-free and dairy-free plans in addition to traditional real food menus. Plus you can add and change recipes to your heart’s content.
- Family of eight or party of one… We’ve got you covered with fully customizable portion sizes.
- Dread grocery shopping? Our dynamic smart phone app makes shopping a breeze.
Plus handy bonuses like…
- A weekly timeline to help you spend the least time possible slaving away in the kitchen.
- Plan ahead options including a month’s recipes in advance, plus a double recipe each week to bank ‘fast food’ in the freezer.
Click here to subscribe to Real Plans now
Traditional, Paleo, Vegetarian, Gluten-free, and Dairy-free plans available
Our 30 day money back guarantee makes Real Plans RISK FREE!