As I kid I loved Swedish fish and Starburst, but now I like to pretend that my tastes are more refined. I prefer more complex and sultry desserts – liked anything with salted caramel.
The problem with most recipes for sweets treats is that they typically contain highly-processed junk. I’ve been on a mission to learn how to make salted caramels and other sweets with Real food ingredients so my family can enjoy a treat without paying with a tummy upset or headache soon after.
I am happy to present these wonderfully satisfying salted caramels. Aside from a small learning curve of manning a candy thermometer, these caramels are super easy to make – and they’re not as sinful as you may think!
The white sugar has been replaced with rapadura (a.k.a. sucanat), which is unrefined cane sugar, and honey takes the place of corn syrup. Both rapadura and honey are rich in minerals. (It’s not essential to use raw honey since it will be heated to a high temperature destroying the enzymes.)
Choosing cream and butter from grass fed cows gives these candies a kick of essential fats and fat-soluble vitamins, and the grey Celtic sea salt provides minerals, too.
Enjoy these caramels on their own or save a 1/2 cup worth for our next seductive recipe… Dark Chocolate Bark with Salted Caramel and Macadamia Nuts.
How to Make Salted Caramels – Ingredients and Supplies
- 1 cup cream (from grass fed cows)
- 5 tablespoons butter, cut into pieces (from grass fed cows)
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1¼ teaspoon grey Celtic sea salt, plus more to sprinkle on top – get high quality sea salt here
- 1½ cups rapadura (unrefined cane sugar) – buy it in bulk here
- ¼ cup honey – find natural sweeteners here – like this one
- ¼ cup filtered water
- Candy thermometer – get one here
- Pizza cutter – like this one
How to Make Salted Caramels – Method
- Line bottom and sides of an 8-inch square baking pan with parchment paper, then lightly butter parchment.
- Bring cream, butter, vanilla, and sea salt to a boil in a small saucepan, then remove from heat and set aside.
- Heat the rapadura, honey, and water in a large sturdy saucepan over medium heat, stirring until sugar is dissolved.
- Once dissolved, boil while swirling (not stirring) until the sugar begins to caramelize (this is a bit trickier with rapadura because it’s already brown – take care not to overcook!)
- Gently whisk cream mixture into the caramel (it will bubble up) and simmer, stirring frequently, until caramel reaches 248F. This will take longer than you expect – be patient, but don’t leave your pot or you will end up with a burned mess!
- Pour immediately into the parchment-lined baking pan and cool for about 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle a bit more sea salt over the top of the caramel and let sit until completely cooled (in the fridge is ok).
- Use your pizza cutter to cut long strips (like a tootsie roll), then cut into 1 inch pieces. Roll caramels in wax paper to prevent from sticking together.
What’s your favorite sweet treat that’s had a successful Real Food makeover?
Want more delicious simplicity in your life?
Even for the most organized families, getting healthy dinner on the table can be such a challenge.
That’s why I am thrilled to introduce Real Plans – our new online meal planner that will revolutionize the way you get dinner on the table.
- Stuck in a rut with the same old dinners? Our delicious, home-style recipes are kitchen-tested and family-approved.
- Got special dietary restrictions or tastes? We offer paleo, vegetarian, gluten-free and dairy-free plans in addition to traditional real food menus. Plus you can add and change recipes to your heart’s content.
- Family of eight or party of one… We’ve got you covered with fully customizable portion sizes.
- Dread grocery shopping? Our dynamic smart phone app makes shopping a breeze.
Plus handy bonuses like…
- A weekly timeline to help you spend the least time possible slaving away in the kitchen.
- Plan ahead options including a month’s recipes in advance, plus a double recipe each week to bank ‘fast food’ in the freezer.
Click here to subscribe to Real Plans now
Traditional, Paleo, Vegetarian, Gluten-free, and Dairy-free plans available
Our 30 day money back guarantee makes Real Plans RISK FREE!