As per usual in Southern California, the weather is pleasantly warm, but not seethingly hot, by any stretch of the imagination. Yet it is popsicle season, and my kids have popsicle fever.
Every day, multiple times per day, I am asked, “WHEN are we going to make more popsicles???”
Then when the popsicles have just been popped in the freezer, “Are they done yet?”
And then all day long, “Can we have another popsicle???”
I grow popsicle weary, yet I have to admit – I love popsicles, too. This orange dreamsicles recipe is my personal favorite. Combining fresh squeezed orange juice, raw milk or cream – or coconut milk if you’re dairy-free – plus the addition of some creamy egg yolks makes these fun treats also a super food.
Add some dissolvable (non-gelling) gelatin – inspired by my friend Sylvie’s awesome book The Gelatin Secret – and these orange dreamsicle popsicles become nutrient-dense superstars.
I used these reusable BPA-free popsicle molds for the dreamsicles, but I also love these stainless steel popsicle molds. If you don’t feel like springing for a special popsicle mold, you could always use dixie cups and wooden popsicle sticks like these.
Orange dreamsicles ingredients
- 1 whole egg plus 2 egg yolks
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 T. raw honey – find it here
- 3 T. hydrolyzed gelatin – get (non-gelling) gelatin here
- 1 3/4 cups orange juice
- 1 cup raw milk (or cream) or coconut milk
Orange dreamsicles method
- Whisk egg and egg yolks in a large bowl.
- Add vanilla, honey, and optional hydrolyzed gelatin and continue whisking until honey is dissolved. Stir in orange juice and milk, cream, or coconut milk.
- Pour into popsicle molds, add sticks, and freeze until set (usually overnight is best).
Want more real food inspiration?
Even for the most organized families, getting healthy dinner on the table can be such a challenge.
That’s why my hubby and I created Real Plans – our online meal planner that will revolutionize the way you get dinner on the table.
- Stuck in a rut with the same old dinners? Our delicious, home-style recipes are kitchen-tested and family-approved.
- Got special dietary restrictions or tastes? We offer paleo, vegetarian, gluten-free and dairy-free plans in addition to traditional real food menus. Plus you can add and change recipes to your heart’s content.
- Family of eight or party of one… We’ve got you covered with fully customizable portion sizes.
- Dread grocery shopping? Our dynamic smart phone app makes shopping a breeze.
Plus handy bonuses like…
- A weekly timeline to help you spend the least time possible slaving away in the kitchen.
- Plan ahead options including a month’s recipes in advance, plus a double recipe each week to bank ‘fast food’ in the freezer.
Click here to subscribe to Real Plans now
Traditional, Paleo, Vegetarian, Gluten-free, and Dairy-free plans available
Our 30 day money back guarantee makes Real Plans RISK FREE!