After months of tweaking the ingredients, I am pleased to present the first Holistic Squid recipe. It is pretty darn delicious, and not only rivals but improves upon the American classic by using maple syrup as a mineral rich, natural sweetener and fresh whey to culture it into a probiotic-rich food rather than a sugary condiment devoid of nutrients. Best of all, my skeptical four-year-old loves it, and has declared it “perfect”! (My husband says the very nature of the word “perfect” makes it not so, hence the “practically” thrown in there for good measure.)
This recipe makes a quart sized jar plus about another 6 ounces, so you can use the extras right away while you wait for the quart to ferment.
Ready to learn how to make homemade ketchup? Good! You’ll be glad you did…
Cultured ketchup ingredients
- 4 – 7 oz jars of Bionaturae Organic Tomato Paste (You can use 4 – 6 oz cans plus 1/2 cup of water if you wish, but the flavor of Bionaturae really makes a difference, plus the jars are BPA free)
- 1/4 cup fresh whey (Never dried. You can easily make your own by straining yogurt through a cheese cloth)
- 1/2 cup grade B maple syrup (richer in minerals than grade A)
- 1/2 cup Red Boat fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons unpasteurized apple cider vinegar
- 2-3 cloves of garlic, peeled and mashed
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground clove
- a sprinkle of cayenne pepper
How to make homemade ketchup
- Mix all ingredients until well blended.
- Place in a glass, quart-sized mason jar with a wide mouth for easy access later. The top of the ketchup should be about 1 inch below the rim of the jar.
- Leave at room temperature for 2-3 days (depending on how warm your kitchen is), then transfer to the fridge and enjoy!
Want more quick and easy?
Even for the most organized families, getting healthy dinner on the table can be such a challenge.
That’s why I am thrilled to introduce Real Plans – our new online meal planner that will revolutionize the way you get dinner on the table.
- Stuck in a rut with the same old dinners? Our delicious, home-style recipes are kitchen-tested and family-approved.
- Got special dietary restrictions or tastes? We offer paleo, vegetarian, gluten-free and dairy-free plans in addition to traditional real food menus. Plus you can add and change recipes to your heart’s content.
- Family of eight or party of one… We’ve got you covered with fully customizable portion sizes.
- Dread grocery shopping? Our dynamic smart phone app makes shopping a breeze.
Plus handy bonuses like…
- A weekly timeline to help you spend the least time possible slaving away in the kitchen.
- Plan ahead options including a month’s recipes in advance, plus a double recipe each week to bank ‘fast food’ in the freezer.
Click here to subscribe to Real Plans now
Traditional, Paleo, Vegetarian, Gluten-free, and Dairy-free plans available
Our 30 day money back guarantee makes Real Plans RISK FREE!