I just LOVE the holidays. There are so many festive, nutrient dense foods to share – like this pumpkin ice cream!
I know it is customary to forget all about pumpkins immediately after the empty pumpkin pie tin leaves the Thanksgiving table, but pumpkin ice cream is a wonderful holiday party showstopper far beyond the turkey dinner in late November.
Pumpkins and other gourds can keep for weeks in a cool storage space. I like to load up on them throughout the fall and make all sorts of delicious concoctions, This Pumpkin Ice Cream is one of my favorites. It is subtly spiced, full of fat-soluble vitamins, and a very unique holiday delicacy. Enjoy!
Pumpkin ice cream ingredients
- 2 ½ cups cream (preferably from grassfed cows)
- 1 cup milk (preferably from grassfed cows)
- 4 yolks – choose eggs from pasture-raised hens
- 4 whole eggs – choose eggs from pasture-raised hens
- ¼ cup raw honey – find natural sweeteners here
- ¼ cup maple syrup – find natural sweeteners here
- ½ cup pumpkin
- 1 T vanilla
- ½ teaspoon ginger
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 pinch allspice for garnish
Pumpkin ice cream method
- Choose a small to medium sized sugar pumpkin.*
- Remove the stem section and cut in half discarding stringy insides.
- Set the seeds aside to dry and roast later.
- Place the pumpkin halves meat down in a shallow baking dish and cover.
- Preheat oven to 375° and bake for approximately 90 minutes or until tender.
- Allow the pumpkin to cool and use a strong handled spoon to scoop out the flesh and puree it.
- For a silky smooth presentation, press the puree through a fine metal sieve. Otherwise, place your puree in a fine sieve and allow any liquid to drip through the sieve while you complete the steps below.
- Beat eggs until smooth and then completely combine honey** in eggs. The eggs help to dissolve the honey nicely.
- Add milk, cream, maple syrup, vanilla, ginger, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Completely combine ingredients and use a whisk to combine pumpkin puree with milk and egg mixture.
- Add whisked together ingredients to already running ice cream machine.
- Pack into a freezer safe container.
- When serving, top with a pinch of allspice. Enjoy!
Yields: 1½ quarts
* If you’re in a hurry or can no longer find sugar pumpkins in your area, you may opt for canned organic pumpkin (Make certain it is just pumpkin though – no sweeteners or spices).
** I prefer raw honey without a strong honey flavor for this and many other ice creams. My favorite honey to achieve this taste is White Gold Honey. Honey is like wine. It matures and changes in taste and even texture. Though it does not spoil per se, it thickens, thins and crystalizes at varying rates. As long as you are getting raw honey from a source you trust, enjoy it in your ice cream with abandon!
Want more delicious simplicity in your life?
Even for the most organized families, getting healthy and delicious meals on the table can be such a challenge.
That’s why my hubby and I created Real Plans – our online meal planner that will revolutionize the way you feed your family.
- Stuck in a rut with the same old dinners? Our delicious, home-style recipes are kitchen-tested and family-approved.
- Got special dietary restrictions or tastes? We offer paleo, vegetarian, gluten-free and dairy-free plans in addition to traditional real food menus. Plus you can add and change recipes to your heart’s content.
- Family of eight or party of one… We’ve got you covered with fully customizable portion sizes.
- Dread grocery shopping? Our dynamic smart phone app makes shopping a breeze.
Plus handy bonuses like…
- A weekly timeline to help you spend the least time possible slaving away in the kitchen.
- Plan ahead options including a month’s recipes in advance, plus a double recipe each week to bank ‘fast food’ in the freezer.
Click here to subscribe to Real Plans now
Traditional, Paleo, Vegetarian, Gluten-free, and Dairy-free plans available
Our 30 day money back guarantee makes Real Plans RISK FREE!
“Pumpkin Ice Cream” was generously contributed by Monica Ford of Real Food Devotee. Monica’s delicious recipes will make your mouth water and your tummy purr. If you’re lucky enough to live in Los Angeles, Real Food Devotee can make your life easier by delivering nutrient dense goodies directly to your door.
Photo Credit: An Eye Full Studio