This time of year, the gorgeous summer produce keeps coming. Tomatoes, eggplants, peppers, onions, zucchini, squash, oh my! Ratatouille time.
All winter long my go-to meals involve slow-cooked meat and root veggies in the crock pot, but at this time of year, ratatouille is my solution to feeding my family yummy comfort food with whatever my farmers’ summer bounties bring.
This recipe for Ratatouille is super simple. I usually throw it together on a Sunday night, putting it in the oven when I can take advantage of the cooler evening air. The next day the flavors of the veggies and herbs are wonderfully intermingled. Ratatouille can be served on its own, over rice or quinoa, or as a side dish. Tonight we’re having it over spaghetti squash with lots of butter.
Got an over-abundance of summer produce? Chop up your veggies now, and freeze them in gallon bags. You’ll be all set to prepare this recipe for Ratatouille in the cooler seasons to come.
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large eggplant, chopped into 1 inch chunks
- 2-3 bell peppers (any color), seeded and chopped
- 1-3 summer squash and/or zucchini, chopped into 1 inch chunks
- 2 pints cherry tomatoes, whole
- 2 T. fresh thyme (or herbs of your choosing)
- 3-5 cloves of garlic, minced
- Extra virgin olive oil (or you can use lard, butter, or coconut oil too)
- Unrefined sea salt and ground pepper to taste
- Wash and chop all of the veggies.
- Layer in a casserole dish starting with onions, then eggplant and peppers, squash, and finally cherry tomatoes.
- Douse with a generous serving of olive oil.
- Sprinkle with herbs, garlic, salt, and pepper.
- Bake in the oven at 425 degrees Fahrenheit, for 45 minutes, gently mixing the veggies midway through.
- Serve immediately, or allow the favors to mingle for a few hours or overnight.
Do you love ratatouille too?
How else do you like to consume the abundant harvest of summer?
Got Real Plans?
Do you ever wonder how a real foodie gets it all done?
I am thrilled to introduce Real Plans – our new online meal planner that will revolutionize the way you get dinner on the table.
- Stuck in a rut with the same old dinners? Our delicious, homestyle recipes are kitchen-tested and family-approved.
- Got special dietary restrictions or tastes? We offer paleo, vegetarian, gluten-free and dairy-free plans in addition to traditional real food menus. Plus you can add and change recipes to your heart’s content.
- Family of eight or party of one… We’ve got you covered with fully customizable portion sizes.
- Dread grocery shopping? Our dynamic smartphone app makes shopping a breeze.
Plus smart bonuses like…
- A weekly timeline to help you spend the least time possible slaving away in the kitchen.
- Plan ahead options including a month’s recipes in advance, plus a double recipe each week to bank ‘fast food’ in the freezer.
Click here to subscribe to Real Plans now
Traditional, Paleo, Vegetarian, Gluten-free, and Dairy-free plans available
Our 30-day money back guarantee makes it RISK FREE!