Hell Yeah, Y’all!
As daunting as it may sound, raw liver consumption in our modern world just requires a little creativity and courage – assuming we take care to assure food safety.
Fresh air and sunshine are huge protective factors for animals. Animals raised outdoors convert sunshine to vitamin D, and consume the natural foods that provide them with vitamin A (both of which provide as much insurance against infection for them, as for us). Hence, healthy animals are not plagued with the parasites, disease or bacteria that their conventional counterparts suffer from.
Liver is hands down the most nutrient dense and utterly energizing super food on the planet. Is it just happenstance that the word “live” is contained in the word “liver”? Ladies and gentlemen, in life, I apparently love to take on more than I can chew. I burn the candle at both ends. And, I’d bet dollars to donuts more than a few of you do the same.
Life is a blip in time and let’s devour every precious moment. I relish the opportunity to live life with as little suffering as is possible and with as much surging positive energy as this abundent universe offers up. I love doing liver shooters in my cooking and nutrition classes. It’s a true bonding and energizing event! Want more energy? Live life like you mean it! Live it with liver!
- A highly usable form of iron
- Trace elements such as copper, zinc and chromium; liver is our best source of copper
- An unidentified anti-fatigue factor
- CoQ10, a nutrient that is especially important for cardio-vascular function
- A good source of purines, nitrogen-containing compounds that serve as precursors for DNA and RNA.
- Nature’s most concentrated source of vitamin A
- All the B vitamins in abundance which are critical for adrenal function
- One of our best sources of folate (much more bio-available than the synthetic form we know as folic acid)
Raw Liver Shooter Ingredients
- 1 inch piece of beef liver ONLY from pasture raised cows and previously frozen for 14 days (buy grassfed beef here)
- 6 oz. organic tomato juice, preferably from 1 medium tomato (see method below)
- 1/4 teaspoon Tabasco OR 1/8 teaspoon spicy hot sauce and 1/8 apple cider vinegar
- Juice of 1 half lime, preferably organic
- Pinch of unrefined sea salt (buy quality sea salt here)
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger juice (optional)
Raw Liver Shooter Method
- If you have a juicer, juice one medium size tomato. If you don’t have a juicer, place the tomato in a blender and pour through a fine strainer into a measuring cup and add 6 oz tomato juice to blender.
- Add liver (Super scared? Finely grate 1 tablespoon frozen liver into blender), tabasco, lime juice, pinch, ginger juice and blend.
- Pour into 1 or multiple shot glasses.
- Down your shooter/s immediately and complete your ritual by sucking on a little lime wedge. Do this with friends and make it fun!
- Bask in the amazing Vitamin B energy that your body will soak up and put to good use throughout the day!
- For convenience, I highly suggest you make a large batch of this recipe and freeze it in ice cubes. When you are ready for a shooter, put the liver shoot ice cube in your blender, allow it to defrost slightly, blend and shoot.
- Please don’t push yourself. If you only want to do half a shot the first time or first 7 times, it’s okay. Progress, not perfection. Perfection is boring and you aren’t boring! You’re an amazing evolving bursting light!
Active Time: 10 minutes
Yields: 1-3 shots
This post can be seen at the following blog carnival(s): Make Your Own! Monday, Monday Mania, Fat Tuesday, Friday Food Flicks and Real Food Wednesday, Fresh Bites Friday and Freaky Friday. Hop on over to check out some other posts you may enjoy!
This post was generously contributed by Monica Ford of Real Food Devotee. Check back next Friday for more delicious recipes from Monica that will make your mouth water and your tummy purr. If you’re lucky enough to live in Los Angeles, Real Food Devotee can make your life easier by delivering nutrient dense goodies directly to your door.
Photo credit: An Eye Full Studio