Lately I’ve been trying to eat lighter. (Check out my slim down for summer challenge to learn why.) But for me this doesn’t mean chowing down of low-cal fake foods, artificial sweeteners, or other junk. It mostly means cutting back on the extra starchy stuff (bread, pasta, croissants) and filling up on well-prepared seasonal veggies (to go with some well-sourced meat, butter, eggs, and other real food staples).
This roasted red cabbage with garlic and lemon has been one of my most surprising favorites. Who knew the boring old cabbage could be so ah-mah-zing!
Typically I turn up my nose at cole slaw. Boiled cabbage – blech! But this stuff… wow.
A simple head of cabbage is transformed into satisfying, savory YUM.
I love to roast this up on a sunday, then have it with my lunches throughout the week. With it’s vibrant purple hue, it would also make a fun (and affordable) side dish for a dinner party or pot luck too.
Roasted red cabbage ingredients
- 1 head red cabbage
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 lemon, juiced
- coarse sea salt, to taste – I love this sea salt
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
Roasted red cabbage method
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Pull off the outer leaf of the cabbage and cut cabbage from the top to bottom into 1-inch thick slices. Place on a sheet pan. Crush garlic cloves and spread over each cabbage slice. With a spray or brush, spread with olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper over each, then half the lemon and sprinkle lemon juice over top.
- Roast on the middle rack for 40 minutes, until edges are brown and crispy. Serve warm or at room temperature.