Lately I’ve been trying to eat lighter. (Check out my slim down for summer challenge to learn why.) But for me this doesn’t mean chowing down of low-cal fake foods, artificial sweeteners, or other junk. It mostly means cutting back on the extra starchy stuff (bread, pasta, croissants) and filling up on well-prepared seasonal veggies (to go with some well-sourced meat, butter, eggs, and other real food staples).
This roasted red cabbage with garlic and lemon has been one of my most surprising favorites. Who knew the boring old cabbage could be so ah-mah-zing!
Typically I turn up my nose at cole slaw. Boiled cabbage – blech! But this stuff… wow.
A simple head of cabbage is transformed into satisfying, savory YUM.
I love to roast this up on a sunday, then have it with my lunches throughout the week. With it’s vibrant purple hue, it would also make a fun (and affordable) side dish for a dinner party or pot luck too.
Roasted red cabbage ingredients
- 1 head red cabbage
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 lemon, juiced
- coarse sea salt, to taste – I love this sea salt
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
Roasted red cabbage method
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Pull off the outer leaf of the cabbage and cut cabbage from the top to bottom into 1-inch thick slices. Place on a sheet pan. Crush garlic cloves and spread over each cabbage slice. With a spray or brush, spread with olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper over each, then half the lemon and sprinkle lemon juice over top.
- Roast on the middle rack for 40 minutes, until edges are brown and crispy. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Want more light and savory inspiration?
Even for the most organized families, getting healthy and delicious dinner on the table can be such a challenge.
That’s why my hubby and I created Real Plans – our new online meal planner that will revolutionize the way you get dinner on the table.
- Stuck in a rut with the same old dinners? Our delicious, home-style recipes are kitchen-tested and family-approved.
- Got special dietary restrictions or tastes? We offer paleo, vegetarian, gluten-free and dairy-free plans in addition to traditional real food menus. Plus you can add and change recipes to your heart’s content.
- Family of eight or party of one… We’ve got you covered with fully customizable portion sizes.
- Dread grocery shopping? Our dynamic smart phone app makes shopping a breeze.
Plus handy bonuses like…
- A weekly timeline to help you spend the least time possible slaving away in the kitchen.
- Plan ahead options including a month’s recipes in advance, plus a double recipe each week to bank ‘fast food’ in the freezer.
Click here to subscribe to Real Plans now
Traditional, Paleo, Vegetarian, Gluten-free, and Dairy-free plans available
Our 30 day money back guarantee makes Real Plans RISK FREE!