Fighting a tickle in your throat? Is the flu threatening to take over your home? Well, check this natural flu remedy out!
This magical shoo flu tonic is a play on an elixir my grandmother used to brew up and bribe us to drink when we were looking a little piqued. At the time, it seemed like a strange and fiery witches brew but now, I find it rejuvenates and comforts me when I’m feeling spread a little thin.
This tonic certainly clears the sinuses and feels like it gets the immune system buzzing though I don’t know if that is a fact bared out in science. Sometimes the wise words of a grandmother can prove more knowing than results gleaned in a lab. I always include a bottle of this natural flu remedy in any care package and love adding it to salad dressings. It is warming indeed.
Enjoy room temperature or slightly warm – If you find this concoction too strong to take as a shot or sip, or dilute in a cup of water.
Natural flu remedy ingredients
- ½ onion, rough chop
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 inch knob ginger, rough chop
- 1 inch piece horseradish, rough chop
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary, minced (or 1 T dried)
- 1 fresh bird's eye chili pepper, rough chop (or 2 dried)
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 ¼ cup water
- 2 cups apple cider vinegar
- Quart size bottle
It is important to use all organic ingredients so as not to introduce more detox work for you body by using ingredients grown with the use of pesticides etc.
Natural flu remedy method
- Add water to pan on high heat.
- Add cinnamon sticks to water.
- Rough chop onion, ginger, horseradish and bird's eye chili pepper and add to pan of water.*
- Crush garlic cloves and add to pan of water.
- Mince rosemary and add to pan of water.
- Once water comes to boil, remove from heat and allow to cool to room temp.
- Measure out 2 cups apple cider vinegar and add to quart size bottle.**
- Use a fine sieve to strain out all of the solids for your cooled liquid.
- Pour your medicinal tea into the bottle containing apple cider vinegar.
*Use gloves when working with fresh chili peppers.
**An old apple cider vinegar bottle works great for this.
Do you have a natural flu remedy to fight it off and feel better fast? Please tell us about it below!
“Shoo Flu Tonic” was generously contributed by Monica Ford of Real Food Devotee. Monica's delicious recipes will make your mouth water and your tummy purr. If you’re lucky enough to live in Los Angeles, Real Food Devotee can make your life easier by delivering nutrient dense goodies directly to your door.