Tanned skin in sun dresses, sandy feet in flip flops, and days that seem to stretch on forever. Oh summer, I love you.
Of course, to pair with any season there are foods that can evoke nostalgia with a single bite. Summertime ceviche is one of those foods. This best ceviche recipe yields a dish that’s cold, salty, tart, and satisfying. Ceviche can transport you to a white sand beach, a crystal blue pool, or just your backyard on a perfect summer’s afternoon.
Ceviche is pretty darn simple to make – chop, squeeze, toss. Then marinate and enjoy. The secret to success with ceviche? Use the very freshest fish you can find. My personal favorite is wild-caught halibut. You can modify the best ceviche recipe for summertime below to include whatever fresh white-fleshed ocean fish you like.
I love my summertime ceviche with extra lime and some perfectly ripe avocados served in little endive leaves, but you could certainly scoop up your ceviche with some tortilla chips home-fried in coconut oil too. Oh, and don’t forget an ice cold glass of wine to wash it all down.
Best ceviche recipe ingredients
- 2 pounds very fresh halibut (or other white-fleshed ocean fish)
- 1 cup freshly squeezed lime juice ( about 7 limes)
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (about 3 lemons)
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed orange juice ( about 3 small oranges)
- 2 tsp. sea salt, plus more to taste
- 1/2 jalapeno pepper
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1/4 red onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp. raw honey
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 avocados
- 2 endives, preferably red but white fine too
Best ceviche recipe method
- Juice all the citrus fruits. Deseed and remove pith from the jalapeno, ensuring to wear gloves to prevent burning. Mince the onion and garlic and finely dice the peppers. Chop cilantro and dice avocados.
- Cut the fish into 1/4-inch pieces. Place in a glass dish with the citrus juices, jalapeno, bell peppers, onions, and garlic, tossing to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 3 to 4 hours – preferably overnight – stirring occasionally.
- Before serving, stir in the honey and cilantro. Separate the endives in to individual leaves. Scoop ceviche into endive ‘boats’ and serve topped with diced avocado and sea salt to taste.
How does a real foodie get it all done?
I am thrilled to introduce Real Plans – our new online meal planner that will revolutionize the way you get dinner on the table.
- Stuck in a rut with the same old dinners? Our delicious, homestyle recipes are kitchen-tested and family-approved.
- Got special dietary restrictions or tastes? We offer paleo, vegetarian, gluten-free and dairy-free plans in addition to traditional real food menus. Plus you can add and change recipes to your heart’s content.
- Family of eight or party of one… We’ve got you covered with fully customizable portion sizes.
- Dread grocery shopping? Our dynamic smartphone app makes shopping a breeze.
Plus smart bonuses like…
- A weekly timeline to help you spend the least time possible slaving away in the kitchen.
- Plan ahead options including a month’s recipes in advance, plus a double recipe each week to bank ‘fast food’ in the freezer.
Click here to subscribe to Real Plans now
Traditional, Paleo, Vegetarian, Gluten-free, and Dairy-free plans available
Our 30-day money back guarantee makes it RISK FREE!