[Holistic Squid note: I’ve tried and loved many a fall soup, and I can personally vouch that Monica’s is the best butternut squash soup recipe you’ll find. Enjoy!]
When I begin to see butternut squash and all the other fall gourds trickling into the farmers market, I cannot help but smile. As much as I love the warmth, sundresses and crisp vegetables of summer, I am ready for fall when it rolls around.
We love to honor and celebrate the seasons with food in our home. I was reflecting recently on why we happily take the time to do this in the midst of to-do lists that seem to multiply like bunnies. Just like the beautiful colors of autumn, vegetables cause me to take a moment to stop and smile. A simple bowl of soup prepared with an eye to showcase special seasonal ingredients beckons me to stop, sit, accept a respite and enjoy.
Best butternut squash soup ingredients
- 1 butternut squash, peeled & cubed
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 5 cups chicken bone broth (1 cup reserved)
- 4 tablespoons butter from cows raised on pasture*
- ¼ cup pecans, soaked
- 1 teaspoon unrefined sea salt
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon sage, minced.
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ cup crème fraîche from cows raised on pasture, optional
- 1 tablespoon honey
Best butternut squash soup method
- In heavy bottomed pot, melt butter on medium stove heat.
- Sauté onions until fragrant. This should be a perfect amount of time for you to prepare squash to be added to the pot.
- Peel and cube butternut squash. I find many recipes make this out to be a difficult task when in fact it is not if you have a good system. Using a sharp knife, slice 1 inch off both ends of the squash making a flat surface at either end. Using a serrated vegetable peeler, peel the squash length-wise. Stand the squash on its wide end and slice in half length-wise, top to bottom. Using a strong handled spoon or melon baller, remove the seeds and fibers. Chop squash into 1-2 inch cubes and add to pot.
- Add 4 cups chicken broth (reserving 1 cup) and bring to a boil and immediately turn down to a simmer.
- Add minced sage, pecans and all spices.
- Simmer until squash is tender (easily cut in half with side of fork).
- Remove from heat and puree in blender or with immersion blender.
- Stir in crème fraîche and honey.
- If you would like to stretch this soup, add up to 1 cup of the reserved chicken bone broth until it reaches your desired consistency.
- Garnish with parsley or chives.
Active Time: 15 minutes
Yields: 2 quarts
Chef’s Notes: *You may substitute with coconut oil for a non-dairy version
“The Best Butternut Squash Soup” was generously contributed by Monica Ford of Real Food Devotee. Monica’s recipes will make your mouth water and your tummy purr. If you’re lucky enough to live in Los Angeles, Real Food Devotee can make your life easier by delivering nutrient dense goodies directly to your door.
photo credit: An Eye Full Studio