My dear friend and Real Food Devotee compatriot, Allison, recently gave birth to a really truly beautiful baby boy. I mean gorgeous, y’all. Side note: who are the people who can keep themselves from speaking in cutesy baby tones to babies? Impossible! I digress….When sweet Allison gave birth, our Real Food Devotee menu celebrated by offering all her faves including this Wild Mushroom Soup.
Can you believe I have a favorite mushroom farmer? Well, I do. Nose around your farmer’s market and I bet you’ll find yours. Warning: Careful how you use this recipe. I’ve gotten my way many many times over a bowl of this lovely soup. Then again, we should all get our way more often. 🙂
Wild mushroom soup ingredients
- 5 cups beef broth, preferably from cows raised on pasture –Buy grass fed beef bones here
- 1 cup dark beer
- 4 tablespoons butter, preferably from cows raised on pasture
- 1 cup creme fraiche – buy dairy cultures here to make your own
- 2 lbs assorted mushrooms, dice or spin through the food processor to a fine dice*
- 8 oz. shitake mushrooms, rough chop
- handful (1-3 oz) dried porcini mushrooms
- 2 cups onion, diced
- 4 ribs celery, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp unrefined sea salt – buy quality sea salt here
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
Wild mushroom soup method
- In a heavy bottom pot, melt the butter and add the onion and celery.
- Once the onion has become tender and fragrant, add garlic and thyme.
- Stir occasionally for 10 minutes.
- Add salt, pepper, nutmeg and dark beer.
- Allow the beer to come to a boil and add the dried porcini mushrooms.
- Add the beef broth, bring to a boil and turn down to a simmer.
- Add remaining mushrooms.
- Simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Turn off heat and stir in creme fraiche.
- Add water or broth if you desire a less lusciously thick consistency.
Active Time: 30 minutes
Yields: 2.5 quarts
*Chef’s Note: Choose mushrooms you like – just get a beautiful mixture.
Want more delicious simplicity in your life?
Even for the most organized families, getting healthy and delicious meals on the table can be such a challenge.
That’s why my hubby and I created Real Plans – our online meal planner that will revolutionize the way you feed your family.
- Stuck in a rut with the same old dinners? Our delicious, home-style recipes are kitchen-tested and family-approved.
- Got special dietary restrictions or tastes? We offer paleo, vegetarian, gluten-free and dairy-free plans in addition to traditional real food menus. Plus you can add and change recipes to your heart’s content.
- Family of eight or party of one… We’ve got you covered with fully customizable portion sizes.
- Dread grocery shopping? Our dynamic smart phone app makes shopping a breeze.
Plus handy bonuses like…
- A weekly timeline to help you spend the least time possible slaving away in the kitchen.
- Plan ahead options including a month’s recipes in advance, plus a double recipe each week to bank ‘fast food’ in the freezer.
Click here to subscribe to Real Plans now
Traditional, Paleo, Vegetarian, Gluten-free, and Dairy-free plans available
Our 30 day money back guarantee makes Real Plans RISK FREE!
“Wild Mushroom Soup” was generously contributed by Monica Ford of Real Food Devotee. Monica’s delicious recipes will make your mouth water and your tummy purr. If you’re lucky enough to live in Los Angeles, Real Food Devotee can make your life easier by delivering nutrient dense goodies directly to your door.
Photo credit: An Eye Full Studio