My dear friend and Real Food Devotee compatriot, Allison, recently gave birth to a really truly beautiful baby boy. I mean gorgeous, y’all.
Side note: who are the people who can keep themselves from speaking in cutesy baby tones to babies? Impossible! I digress….When sweet Allison gave birth, our Real Food Devotee menu celebrated by offering all her faves including this Wild Mushroom Soup.
Can you believe I have a favorite mushroom farmer? Well, I do. Nose around your farmer’s market and I bet you’ll find yours. Warning: Careful how you use this recipe. I’ve gotten my way many many times over a bowl of this lovely soup. Then again, we should all get our way more often. 🙂
Wild mushroom soup ingredients
- 5 cups beef broth, preferably from cows raised on pasture
- 1 cup dark beer
- 4 tablespoons butter, preferably from cows raised on pasture
- 1 cup creme fraiche
- 2 lbs assorted mushrooms, dice or spin through the food processor to a fine dice*
- 8 oz. shitake mushrooms, rough chop
- A handful (1-3 oz) dried porcini mushrooms
- 2 cups onion, diced
- 4 ribs celery, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp unrefined sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
Wild mushroom soup method
- In a heavy bottom pot, melt the butter and add the onion and celery.
- Once the onion has become tender and fragrant, add garlic and thyme.
- Stir occasionally for 10 minutes.
- Add salt, pepper, nutmeg and dark beer.
- Allow the beer to come to a boil and add the dried porcini mushrooms.
- Add the beef broth, bring to a boil and turn down to a simmer.
- Add remaining mushrooms.
- Simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Turn off heat and stir in creme fraiche.
- Add water or broth if you desire a less lusciously thick consistency.
Active Time: 30 minutes
Yields: 2.5 quarts
*Chef’s Note: Choose mushrooms you like – just get a beautiful mixture.
“Wild Mushroom Soup” was generously contributed by Monica Ford of Real Food Devotee. Monica’s delicious recipes will make your mouth water and your tummy purr. If you’re lucky enough to live in Los Angeles, Real Food Devotee can make your life easier by delivering nutrient dense goodies directly to your door.
Photo credit: An Eye Full Studio