Ah, springtime! Chirping birds, vibrant wildflowers, and long sunny days. Unfortunately, this change of season also stirs up pollen causing sneezing, sniffles, wheezing, and other symptoms of allergies and asthma. For many kids this means sitting inside on beautiful days, ingesting heaps of medication, and missing out on lots of fun.
While allergies may be triggered by external forces of nature, the root causes are actually imbalances in the body's systems including immune, respiratory, and even digestive functions.
Antihistamines, decongestants, and steroids may halt the runny nose and watery eyes, but these medicines are harsh, potentially unsafe, and only provide temporary relief. Luckily, there are many natural remedies for allergies and asthma that not only alleviate symptoms, but can also address your child's underlying imbalances to prevent future attacks.
Here are my top remedies for allergies and asthma.
A groundbreaking study on the effect of acupuncture in the treatment of allergy symptoms in children found that acupuncture was significantly more effective in reducing symptom scores and increasing symptom-free days compared to the control group.
If the mention of tiny needles gets your kid running for a tree, the acupuncture points can be stimulated effectively with fun and harmless laser lights.
Chinese herbal medicine can be extremely effective in opening the lungs, fortifying the immune system, and clearing phlegm. Your child's customized formula may contain herbs such as astragalus that fortify the immune system and other gentle herbs to calm symptoms.
Potential villains such as dairy, wheat, soy, sugar, and processed foods can create inflammation in the body, making your child more susceptible to respiratory issues. Speak to you healthcare provider for gentle techniques to eliminate these foods from your child's diet.
Homeopathy works by gently triggering a specific immune response which begins the healing process.
An energetic rather than chemical approach, homeopathy is extremely safe even for an infant. Here are 2 for acute symptoms of allergies:
- Allium cepa 30c – Treats attacks of sneezing, runny, irritated nose, and watery eyes.
- Kali-bichromicum 30c – Use for persistent sinus congestion with thick nasal discharge.
- Colostrum – Buy organic freeze dried capsules and give one twice a day for kids. Colostrum is the first milk that is secreted in mammals for a few days after birth. It contains immune system stimulants that prevent infections and allergies.
- Omega 3's – Cod liver oil will reduce inflammation and strengthen your child's nervous system.
- Probiotics (especially if your child has had antibiotics recently) – Choose a high quality children's probiotic (like Jarrow) to populate the digestive tract with good bacteria so the whole body is better equipped to combat allergens.
For kids suffering severe or chronic allergies or asthma, sometimes the best approach is to introduce alternative therapy while gently weaning from western medicines under the care of your child's pediatrician.
In the case of prolonged symptoms especially accompanied by a fever, be sure to seek treatment for possible secondary infections. Choose safe, natural remedies for allergies and asthma this spring. Before you know it, your child will be frolicking carefree through the spring meadows.
If your kids suffer with allergies or asthma, what natural remedies would you recommend?