I have searched high and low for the perfect chicken pot pie recipe. Something comforting, flavorful, and delicious, but without a ton of extra labor – no rolling pins, please!
You see, I just don’t have the time for fussy food, but I still want my dinner to taste awesome. Finally, inspired by this recipe and this recipe I found on Pinterest, I have come up with my own version of perfection. Enter: chicken pot pie crumble.
The filling for this recipe is savory and tasty, yet simple. And my favorite part? Making this crust is a bit like finger painting – fun and messy (for your hands, anyway) but it more than gets the job done.
If you are avoiding dairy or gluten you can still enjoy this scrumptious dish. Either eat the filling like a stew, or I’ve included a great GF/DF topping to use instead of the sprouted flour crust.
This is what chicken pot pie tastes like in heaven. Enjoy.
By the way, this chicken pot pie crumble is a sneak peek at this week’s menu for Real food Meal Plans for the Busy Home. Subscribe now or learn how my meal plans can save you time and money here.
Chicken Pot Pie Crumble – Filling Ingredients
- 1 meat from one whole chicken, preferably pasture-raised (about 4 cups)
- 5 cups chicken stock, warmed – learn to make make your own
- 3/4 cup grass-fed butter*
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 T. Sea Salt – buy my favorite salt here
- 3/4 cup sprouted wheat flour* – buy sprouted flour here
- 1/4 cups cream*, from grass fed cows
- 4 carrots, diced
- 2 cups organic frozen peas
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, minced
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
How to Prepare Filling
- First make your crumble, below. While the crumble is cooling, preheat the oven to 375F.
- In a large pan sauté onions, salt and thyme in butter or coconut oil until they begin to soften.
- Add carrots and cook for 5-7 minutes.
- Sprinkle in sprouted flour while continuously stirring for about two minutes to make a roux (a thick paste).
- Slowly pour in chicken stock, while continuously stirring. Simmer for a minute.
- Pour in cream and combine well.
- Add the chicken, peas, and parsley. Stir to combine.
- Place filling in a 9×13 casserole dish. Top with crumble.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until breading is golden brown.
Ingredients For the Crumble
- 1 1/2 cup sprouted wheat flour – buy sprouted flour here
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt – buy my favorite salt here
- 1/4 tsp. fresh cracked pepper
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup grass-fed butter, cold and diced into small cubes
- 2 oz. parmesan cheese, shredded, (1/2 cup packed)
- 1 cup cream, from grass fed cows
How to Prepare Crumble
- Preheat oven to 450F.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together: flour, baking powder, salt, pepper, garlic powder and optional cayenne pepper.
- Using your fingertips, mash butter into mixture until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Stir in parmesan cheese.
- Pour in heavy cream and mix just until combine.
- Roughly spread mixture about 1/2 inch thick onto a parchment-lined or greased baking sheet.
- Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes until golden.
- Remove from oven and set aside.
- When cook, break into crumble (about the size of grapes or smaller) to top the pot pie filling.
*Gluten-Free and/or Dairy Free?
For the filling:
- Use bacon fat or coconut oil in place of butter.
- Substitute 1⁄4 cup cream with 1⁄4 cup extra chicken stock.
- Thicken filling with 1⁄4 cup + 1 T. arrowroot in place of sprouted flour.
Instead of the crumble:
GF/DF Chicken Pot Pie Topping
- 3 eggs, from pasture-raised hens
- 1 cup almond flour – buy almond flour here
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. Sea salt – buy my favorite salt here
- 1/3 cup bacon fat (or coconut oil)
How to Prepare
- In a mixing bowl beat the eggs.
- Stir in almond flour, baking powder salt and melted fat.
- Spread crumble mixture over the top of chicken filling in baking dish
- Bake this for 12-15 minutes until breading is golden brown.
Got Real Plans?
Do you ever wonder how a real foodie gets it all done?
I am thrilled to introduce Real Plans – our new online meal planner that will revolutionize the way you get dinner on the table.
- Stuck in a rut with the same old dinners? Our delicious, homestyle recipes are kitchen-tested and family-approved.
- Got special dietary restrictions or tastes? We offer paleo, vegetarian, gluten-free and dairy-free plans in addition to traditional real food menus. Plus you can add and change recipes to your heart’s content.
- Family of eight or party of one… We’ve got you covered with fully customizable portion sizes.
- Dread grocery shopping? Our dynamic smartphone app makes shopping a breeze.
Plus smart bonuses like…
- A weekly timeline to help you spend the least time possible slaving away in the kitchen.
- Plan ahead options including a month’s recipes in advance, plus a double recipe each week to bank ‘fast food’ in the freezer.
Click here to subscribe to Real Plans now
Traditional, Paleo, Vegetarian, Gluten-free, and Dairy-free plans available
Our 30-day money back guarantee makes it RISK FREE!