I’m not hardly Irish but, I relish any excuse to celebrate with food!
We love corned beef around our house. And since I decided I would only eat corned beef if I had cured it myself (another recipe for another time)….well, I make quite a bit at once. This always leaves some left over for a wonderful stew.
We freeze quart size portions to defrost and serve when we want to feel nourished and very comforted. It is such a pleasure that we always have a nutrient dense stew standing at the ready to nourish the bodies that serve us over the course of a long day.
I feel renewed after a bowl of this reviving stew. This is also a great recipe for beef stew so, if you don’t have corned beef, it’s ok.
Corned beef ingredients
- 3 lbs corned beef or beef brisket (preferably from cows raised on pasture), cut into 2-inch pieces (buy grassfed beef here)
- 3 tbsp tallow (preferably from cows raised on pasture)
- 2 tsp unrefined sea salt
- 1 tbsp coarse ground pepper
- 2 onions, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups beef broth
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 6 carrots, peeled, cut into 1-inch slices
- 2 stalks celery, cut into 1-inch slices
- 3 large potatoes (or peeled turnips), cut in 2-inch pieces
- fresh parsley to garnish (optional)
Corned beef stew method
- The night before you will make your stew, put the brisket or corned beef in your slow-cooker.
- Cover with 3 cups beef broth and any additional water needed to cover the meat.
- Cook on low until morning.
- Remove beef and set aside to cool.
- In a heavy bottom pot, melt the tallow and add the onion, salt, and pepper.
- Once the onion has become tender and fragrant, add the garlic, carrots, celery, potatoes and thyme.
- Stir occasionally for 10 minutes.
- Add the cooking liquid from your slow-cooker and the bay leaf.
- Bring broth to a boil and turn down to a simmer.
- Simmer for an hour or until all veggies are tender.
- Chop corned beef or brisket into 2-inch pieces and add to stew.
- Cook for another 15 minutes.
Want more delicious simplicity in your life?
Even for the most organized families, getting healthy and delicious meals on the table can be such a challenge.
That’s why my hubby and I created Real Plans – our online meal planner that will revolutionize the way you feed your family.
- Stuck in a rut with the same old dinners? Our delicious, home-style recipes are kitchen-tested and family-approved.
- Got special dietary restrictions or tastes? We offer paleo, vegetarian, gluten-free and dairy-free plans in addition to traditional real food menus. Plus you can add and change recipes to your heart’s content.
- Family of eight or party of one… We’ve got you covered with fully customizable portion sizes.
- Dread grocery shopping? Our dynamic smart phone app makes shopping a breeze.
Plus handy bonuses like…
- A weekly timeline to help you spend the least time possible slaving away in the kitchen.
- Plan ahead options including a month’s recipes in advance, plus a double recipe each week to bank ‘fast food’ in the freezer.
Click here to subscribe to Real Plans now
Traditional, Paleo, Vegetarian, Gluten-free, and Dairy-free plans available
Our 30 day money back guarantee makes Real Plans RISK FREE!
“Irish Corned Beef Stew” was generously contributed by Monica Ford of Real Food Devotee. Monica’s delicious recipes will make your mouth water and your tummy purr. If you’re lucky enough to live in Los Angeles, Real Food Devotee can make your life easier by delivering nutrient dense goodies directly to your door.
Photo credit: An Eye Full Studio