Adapted from Nourishing Traditions, this is one of my husband’s favorites from our early pre-kid days. I remember having blissfully quiet evening on the deck in autumn slurping this soup and sipping wine, and discussing something grown-up. Ahhh.
This simple, yet elegant soup delivers a nutritional punch with nutrient dense bone broth full of minerals, gelatin, and glycosaminoglycans, healthy fat from the butter and cheese.
There are two essential secrets to making the best French Onion Soup: Homemade stock and slow, slow cooked, caramelized onions. This is a easy recipe that is sure to impress the most discerning palate and can either start a meal or stand alone with a simple baby green salad.
The Best French Onion Soup Ingredients
- 4 red onions sliced as thinly as possible. I like to use my food processor for this, but it’s not necessary.
- 4-6 Tbsp. butter
- 2 quarts beef stock
- 1/2 C. cognac (or substitute dry sherry)
- 1/2 C. red wine
- 1 T. arrowroot powder – (As opposed to commonly used corn starch, this traditional foods starch thickener is very easy to digest and nutrient dense)
- Sea salt (or fish sauce) and pepper to taste. Where to find sea salt
- 2 Tbsp. finely chopped fresh parsley – for flavor and added minerals
- Raw cheese of your choice to grate on top (Gruyere is the traditional choice served on French Onion soup but any will do)
- Sliced and toasted sourdough bread (optional)
The Best French Onion Soup Method:
- Place onions and butter in a saucepan over low heat and let it cook, stirring occasionally. Cook until just caramelized: translucent, slightly browned. This will take an hour or two – DON’T RUSH IT. The slower and lower the better.
- Add stock, cognac and wine. Bring to a rapid boil for about 2 minutes. Lower to a simmering boil. Skim off foam as you go, if any.
- Mix arrowroot with a little water so it is a thick paste; add to soup. Season to taste.
- Spoon into bowls, float optional toast atop, and sprinkle on raw cheese. If your bowls are oven-safe and you are using the toast, you may choose to place under the broiler until browned.
- Sprinkle with parsley and serve.
The Best French Onion Soup can be seen at the following blog carnivals: The Hearth and Soul Blog Hop, Make Your Own Monday, Monday Mania, Fat Tuesday and Sunday Night Soup Night. Hop on over to check out some other posts you may enjoy!
Want more delicious simplicity in your life?
Even for the most organized families, getting healthy dinner on the table can be such a challenge.
That’s why I am thrilled to introduce Real Plans – our new online meal planner that will revolutionize the way you get dinner on the table.
- Stuck in a rut with the same old dinners? Our delicious, home-style recipes are kitchen-tested and family-approved.
- Got special dietary restrictions or tastes? We offer paleo, vegetarian, gluten-free and dairy-free plans in addition to traditional real food menus. Plus you can add and change recipes to your heart’s content.
- Family of eight or party of one… We’ve got you covered with fully customizable portion sizes.
- Dread grocery shopping? Our dynamic smart phone app makes shopping a breeze.
Plus handy bonuses like…
- A weekly timeline to help you spend the least time possible slaving away in the kitchen.
- Plan ahead options including a month’s recipes in advance, plus a double recipe each week to bank ‘fast food’ in the freezer.
Click here to subscribe to Real Plans now
Traditional, Paleo, Vegetarian, Gluten-free, and Dairy-free plans available
Our 30 day money back guarantee makes Real Plans RISK FREE!