I don’t know about you but I just love my dehydrator. It works so hard for me. The poor thing runs year round at my house. It is always busily making me on-the-go snacks like kombucha jerky, holiday decorations, and these dried persimmon snacks.
Before I got myself a dehydrator, I dried almonds in my oven on the lowest setting, but not much else, .
If you don’t have a dehydrator, you can use your oven, but I highly suggest you put a dehydrator on your “make a perfect kitchen list,” because it will likely open up a wonderful new world for you like mine has for me. This is the one I have and love.
Between my dehydrated snacks and nutrient dense fast food I am almost never put in a position to buy yucky foods on the go. It makes me really happy!
Dried persimmon snacks – what you need
Please note that the amounts are up to you. Make as much as your purpose requires.
- 1 lb. fuyu persimmon*
- 2 lemons, juice
- your oven or a dehydrator
How to make dried persimmon snacks
- Slice off stems of persimmons, leaving a flat plane on which to steady the slippery persimmon for next step.
- Steadying persimmon on flat plane where stem used to be, slice persimmon into 1/8 inch thick pieces.**
- Add all of your slices to a bowl and pour the juice of 2 lemons over the slices.
- Stir so that all the persimmons become covered in lemon juice. This will help them keep their vibrant orange color and will give them a bright, light, zingy taste.
- In the Oven:
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and lay your persimmon slices out in an oven preheated to 200F° and dry your persimmons for 2-3 hours or until there is no more moisture and the slices are crisp.
- In the Dehydrator:
Lay your persimmon slices out on dehydrator trays. Set dehydrator to 150F° and dry persimmons for 20 hours or until there is no more moisture and the slices are crisp.
*I do not suggest Hachiya persimmons for this recipe.
** If you plan to add your dried persimmons to granola or trail mix, chop your thin slices into smaller pieces.
Want more delicious simplicity in your life?
Even for the most organized families, getting healthy and delicious meals on the table can be such a challenge.
That’s why my hubby and I created Real Plans – our online meal planner that will revolutionize the way you feed your family.
- Stuck in a rut with the same old dinners? Our delicious, home-style recipes are kitchen-tested and family-approved.
- Got special dietary restrictions or tastes? We offer paleo, vegetarian, gluten-free and dairy-free plans in addition to traditional real food menus. Plus you can add and change recipes to your heart’s content.
- Family of eight or party of one… We’ve got you covered with fully customizable portion sizes.
- Dread grocery shopping? Our dynamic smart phone app makes shopping a breeze.
Plus handy bonuses like…
- A weekly timeline to help you spend the least time possible slaving away in the kitchen.
- Plan ahead options including a month’s recipes in advance, plus a double recipe each week to bank ‘fast food’ in the freezer.
Click here to subscribe to Real Plans now
Traditional, Paleo, Vegetarian, Gluten-free, and Dairy-free plans available
Our 30 day money back guarantee makes Real Plans RISK FREE!
“Dried Persimmon Snacks” was generously contributed by Monica Ford of Real Food Devotee. Monica’s recipes will make your mouth water and your tummy purr. If you’re lucky enough to live in Los Angeles, Real Food Devotee can make your life easier by delivering nutrient dense goodies directly to your door.
Photo Credit: An Eye Full Studio