Do you brew kombucha?
Do you have homemade Kombucha SCOBY cultures coming out of your ears? Ever wonder what else you might do with these beautiful, powerful things? Me too!
(If you have no idea what I’m talking about, learn how to make kombucha here. Otherwise, read on…)
One day my friend Hannah (founder of Kombucha Kamp) and I were talking about all the great ways we use our SCOBYs, and thought what fun it would be to make SCOBY jerky! A fun treat for omnivores and vegans alike, without all the sugar of fruit leathers.
Kombucha SCOBY Jerky is probiotically rich, nutrient dense and a beautiful practice in sustainability ta’ boot. BUT, could these crazy alien life forms also be tasty? The answer, I am very proud to report, turned out to be a resounding YES!
Homemade kombucha SCOBY jerky ingredients
- 4-6 kombucha SCOBYs* – find Kombucha starter cultures here
- 1 T ginger, shredded
- 1 T garlic, shredded
- ½ cup kombucha – – find Kombucha starter cultures her
- ½ cup organic unpasteurized soy sauce – I like this one
- 7 T raw honey – find amazing raw honey here
- 1 pinch chili flakes (or more if you like spicy)
Homemade kombucha SCOBY jerky method
- Choose thin SCOBYs for this project or take your thick SCOBYs and separate the thin layers from the thick zygomatic mat.
- Use a sharp pair of scissors to cut the SCOBY into strips no more than 1 ½ inch wide. Length is up to you and the available space in your dehydrator.
- Add the kombucha and soy sauce to a bowl.
- Add the honey one tablespoon at a time. Dissolve it in the liquid using a whisk.
- Add ginger, garlic and chili flakes and mix.
- Dip your SCOBY strips in the marinade and lay out on dehydrator trays.
- Dehydrate until much of the moisture is gone from the SCOBY strips. (Approximately 4 hours at 105°F.)**
- Remove SCOBYs from dehydrator and place in a container of marinade in the fridge for 24 hours or until you are ready to dehydrate again. The SCOBYs will now rehydrate and infuse with your marinade.
- Dehydrate for 8 hours at 105°F.
- Remove your homemade Kombucha SCOBY Jerky and store in airtight jars.
*SCOBYs come in all different sizes. Choose to use as many as will be submerged in your marinade.
**If you do not have a dehydrator, try this on the lowest setting in your oven. I have not tried this but, I suspect it would work with a watchful eye.
Check out the video of Hannah and I being ridiculously excited about homemade Kombucha SCOBY Jerky below:
Want more delicious simplicity in your life?
Even for the most organized families, getting healthy and delicious meals on the table can be such a challenge.
That’s why my hubby and I created Real Plans – our online meal planner that will revolutionize the way you feed your family.
- Stuck in a rut with the same old dinners? Our delicious, home-style recipes are kitchen-tested and family-approved.
- Got special dietary restrictions or tastes? We offer paleo, vegetarian, gluten-free and dairy-free plans in addition to traditional real food menus. Plus you can add and change recipes to your heart’s content.
- Family of eight or party of one… We’ve got you covered with fully customizable portion sizes.
- Dread grocery shopping? Our dynamic smart phone app makes shopping a breeze.
Plus handy bonuses like…
- A weekly timeline to help you spend the least time possible slaving away in the kitchen.
- Plan ahead options including a month’s recipes in advance, plus a double recipe each week to bank ‘fast food’ in the freezer.
Click here to subscribe to Real Plans now
Traditional, Paleo, Vegetarian, Gluten-free, and Dairy-free plans available
Our 30 day money back guarantee makes Real Plans RISK FREE!
“Homemade Kombucha SCOBY Jerky” was generously contributed by Monica Ford of Real Food Devotee. Monica’s delicious recipes will make your mouth water and your tummy purr. If you’re lucky enough to live in Los Angeles, Real Food Devotee can make your life easier by delivering nutrient dense goodies directly to your door.
bottom right photo credit: Real Food Devotee