People often ask me, “How do you always have nutrient dense food ready to dine on at home AND on the go? Where do you find the time?” I haven’t found secret pockets of time, although I’m still searching. I do however, stock my refrigerator and freezer with nutrient dense fast food. Life can be fast paced and chaotic. That will likely never change so I make versatile foods like these nutrient dense, easy meatballs.
I grew up ducking and dodging through the back kitchen of my parents’ delicatessens. They used to make an amazing meatball sub. I now make my meatball sub on sourdough and it is INSANE. I usually make a large batch of meatballs (child labor for meatball rolling encouraged – *wink, wink*) so, feel free to double and triple this recipe to fit your needs and time. If you’re looking for ways to disguise liver for your family or just like being a super human, try adding some ground liver to the mix.
I like to make quite a few batches of easy meatballs and store some in the freezer and some in the fridge. I sometimes eat them cold as I’m running out the door. I take them with me on airplane flights. Three or four of these meaty morsels simmered in a cup of bone broth with a little side of sauerkraut is wonderful. I also like to make large batches of reduction sauce and freeze small portions which makes a lovely pairing. In fact, these are great with reduction sauce, dipping sauce, marinara or cheese. For an instant dinner, just cook up some rice or veggies and throw them on top. Perfect for a meatball soup or Italian wedding soup.
Just last week, I had friends popping over last minute and just scattered these babies on a plate with a tooth pick, a thin slice of pecorino and a basil leaf. Instant appetizer!!! Get Real. Be Well.
Easy meatballs ingredients
- 1/2 lb grass-fed ground beef – buy grassfed beef here
- 1/2 lb pasture raised ground pork (use all beef if you don’t partake of pork).
- Ground liver – substitute for 1/4 pound of ground meat (or however much you’re brave enough to add!)
- 2 eggs from pasture raised hens, beaten
- 1/2 yellow onion, minced
- 1/2 cup organic tomato paste (try Bionaturae)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper to taste
- 1/8 cup barley or 1/8 cup sauerkraut (squeeze juice out) – optional
Easy meatballs method
- Combine the beef, pork, and optional liver in a large mixing bowl and mix together evenly with your hands.
- Add onion, tomato paste, garlic, parsley, salt and pepper to meat mixture and combine.
- In another bowl, beat eggs until combined and then add to meat mixture and combine.
- Roll the meatballs to any size that works for you. Or you can make batches of small meatballs and a few batches of larger meatballs and bag them separately in your fridge.
- Pop meatballs into muffin tins or on baking sheet and bake in oven preheated to 375° for approximately 20 minutes or until the center of a meatball is done.
Active Time: 30 minutes
Yield: 16-20 meatballs
Want more delicious simplicity in your life?
Even for the most organized families, getting healthy and delicious meals on the table can be such a challenge.
That’s why my hubby and I created Real Plans – our online meal planner that will revolutionize the way you feed your family.
- Stuck in a rut with the same old dinners? Our delicious, home-style recipes are kitchen-tested and family-approved.
- Got special dietary restrictions or tastes? We offer paleo, vegetarian, gluten-free and dairy-free plans in addition to traditional real food menus. Plus you can add and change recipes to your heart’s content.
- Family of eight or party of one… We’ve got you covered with fully customizable portion sizes.
- Dread grocery shopping? Our dynamic smart phone app makes shopping a breeze.
Plus handy bonuses like…
- A weekly timeline to help you spend the least time possible slaving away in the kitchen.
- Plan ahead options including a month’s recipes in advance, plus a double recipe each week to bank ‘fast food’ in the freezer.
Click here to subscribe to Real Plans now
Traditional, Paleo, Vegetarian, Gluten-free, and Dairy-free plans available
Our 30 day money back guarantee makes Real Plans RISK FREE!
This post was generously contributed by Monica Ford of Real Food Devotee. If you’re lucky enough to live in Los Angeles, Real Food Devotee can make your life easier by delivering nutrient dense goodies directly to your door.
photo credit: Real Food Devotee
This post can be seen at the following blog carnivals: Monday Mania. Hop on over to check out some other posts you may enjoy!