Did you know the gelatin in bone broth is hydrophylic?
This means, when you eat something cooked, like a lovely roast whose live enzymes have been heated away, you can serve bone broth with your roast and the gelatin will pull your digestive juices to your meal. Less work for your digestive system and more energy for you! (Want the health benefits of bone broth, but don’t want to make your own? Buy bone broth online here.)
One of the most delicious ways to do this is by serving all meat dishes with a reduction sauce made from bone broth. I love to make large batches of reduction sauce at once and freeze it in ice cube trays and just melt them down for an elegant nourishing meal on a whim.
Merlot reduction sauce ingredients
- 3 tablespoons butter (or if you just roasted beef, use 3 tablespoons of those drippings)
- 1 shallot, minced
- ¼ Cup Merlot Wine
- 1 Cup Beef Broth
- 1 Tablespoon Thyme
- Sea Salt and Pepper to taste
Merlot reduction sauce method
- Melt the butter in saute pan or remove the meat from the roasting pan and pour off 3 tablespoons of fat into your saute pan
- Remove the pan from the heat; add wine to deglaze the pan while scraping any bits from the meat.
- Place the pan back on medium high stove heat and immediately add the shallots letting them cook while the wine reduces to anywhere between down to half or to an essence. Be sure to keep stirring so the shallots don’t burn and the bottom of the pan is clean.
- Once the wine is reduced down to the desired level, add the bone broth. Reduce the broth by at least half or more if you want the sauce thicker (approx.. 25-30 mins)
- Season with salt and pepper to taste
- Add thyme and serve
Notes: You may add a pat of butter at the very end to give your sauce a velvety shine and you may also, use a blender or emersion blender to make your sauce smooth and elegant.
Active Time: 35 minutes
Yields: 1/2 cup sauce
Want more delicious simplicity in your life?
Even for the most organized families, getting healthy and delicious meals on the table can be such a challenge.
That’s why my hubby and I created Real Plans – our online meal planner that will revolutionize the way you feed your family.
- Stuck in a rut with the same old dinners? Our delicious, home-style recipes are kitchen-tested and family-approved.
- Got special dietary restrictions or tastes? We offer paleo, vegetarian, gluten-free and dairy-free plans in addition to traditional real food menus. Plus you can add and change recipes to your heart’s content.
- Family of eight or party of one… We’ve got you covered with fully customizable portion sizes.
- Dread grocery shopping? Our dynamic smart phone app makes shopping a breeze.
Plus handy bonuses like…
- A weekly timeline to help you spend the least time possible slaving away in the kitchen.
- Plan ahead options including a month’s recipes in advance, plus a double recipe each week to bank ‘fast food’ in the freezer.
Click here to subscribe to Real Plans now
Traditional, Paleo, Vegetarian, Gluten-free, and Dairy-free plans available
Our 30 day money back guarantee makes Real Plans RISK FREE!
This post was generously contributed by Monica Ford of Real Food Devotee. Monica’s recipes will make your mouth water and your tummy purr. If you’re lucky enough to live in Los Angeles, Real Food Devotee can make your life easier by delivering nutrient dense goodies directly to your door.
Photo credit: The Bitten Word