There are many ways to make a soda. So many choices for starter cultures and even more ingredient options. Some are for the more advanced fermenter and yield a layered complex taste, while others can be mixed in 2 minutes flat. I’m dead serious. Next time someone asks you to a party (tot-to-adult), offer to bring naturally fermented, sugar free, homemade soda. You will not only wow everyone but, will have something fermented to consume with whatever else a pot-luck provides.
I love making sodas because the probiotic and vitamin rich taste sensations are limitless. How wonderful that the tingling sweet taste of soda pop has been consumed – until recently – as a refreshing health tonic. I’m not one for deprivation. My goal in everything is to have the best of both worlds. To enjoy it all. Naturally fermented sodas are effervescent, delicious and can taste tart to sweet. They do not send kidos or adults into crazed sugar spikes and DO imbue the gut with beneficial, bio-diverse gut flora. It’s a win win! Whether you are a beginning fermenter or a fearless fermenting kitchen witch, you can create a delicious soda. I promise!
Easy peasy pomegranate soda ingredients
- 1/2 cup plain kombucha* – find starter cultures here
- 3 1/2 cups Pomegranate Juice
Easy peasy pomegranate soda method
- In a quart size bottle, add plain kombucha and pomegranate juice.**
- Affix lid snuggly and place the bottle out of direct sunlight (try draping a towel over the bottle) and in a room temperature environment for 12-38 hours.
- If you have a cool home, please choose a warmer area like the top of a refrigerator or purchase a seedling heat mat to keep this and other future ferments at the perfect temperature.
- How do you know when your soda is fermented? If the liquid is bubbling and foaming, you will know your soda probably could have come off ferment and gone into the fridge with an hour or two less ferment time. Put it in the fridge now. If the liquid is still, give the bottle a little shake and look for an ascending parade of tiny bubbles. If you see a steady ascension, put your soda in the fridge.
- Remember, successful fermenting is part science and part art. The more practice you afford yourself, the more in sync you will fall with your ferments. We have become disconnected from our food and the beneficial bacteria who are our symbionts. Fermentation allows us the opportunity to reconnect.
*Have a batch of Kombucha that has gone too sour for your tastes? That will work great for this recipe.
**A great bottle choice in an old quart size vinegar bottle with the plastic lid. A a Grolsch style bottle (with the wire-held stopper) will likely yield a crimson pomegranate disaster all over the kitchen floor.
Yield: 1 quart
Want more delicious simplicity in your life?
Even for the most organized families, getting healthy and delicious meals on the table can be such a challenge.
That’s why my hubby and I created Real Plans – our online meal planner that will revolutionize the way you feed your family.
- Stuck in a rut with the same old dinners? Our delicious, home-style recipes are kitchen-tested and family-approved.
- Got special dietary restrictions or tastes? We offer paleo, vegetarian, gluten-free and dairy-free plans in addition to traditional real food menus. Plus you can add and change recipes to your heart’s content.
- Family of eight or party of one… We’ve got you covered with fully customizable portion sizes.
- Dread grocery shopping? Our dynamic smart phone app makes shopping a breeze.
Plus handy bonuses like…
- A weekly timeline to help you spend the least time possible slaving away in the kitchen.
- Plan ahead options including a month’s recipes in advance, plus a double recipe each week to bank ‘fast food’ in the freezer.
Click here to subscribe to Real Plans now
Traditional, Paleo, Vegetarian, Gluten-free, and Dairy-free plans available
Our 30 day money back guarantee makes Real Plans RISK FREE!
This post was generously contributed by Monica Ford of Real Food Devotee. Monica’s delicious recipes will make your mouth water and your tummy purr. If you’re lucky enough to live in Los Angeles, Real Food Devotee can make your life easier by delivering nutrient dense goodies directly to your door.
photo credit: An Eye Full Studio