I LOVE Fennel. I use it in many dishes. In soups, krauts, tonics, on salads, roasted and more! This Fennel Au Gratin is a perfect pairing with chicken or fish.
I know “au gratin” by definition includes bread crumbs but my jeans look better sans bread crumbs. So let's switch it up, baby! It's perfectly delicious!
Fennel au gratin ingredients
- 2 pounds fennel bulbs (3-4 bulbs)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1 cup shredded gruyere cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella
- 1 cup cauliflower crumbs
- Sea salt
- Black pepper
- Chopped dehydrated onions
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme
- Chopped fennel fronds, for garnish
Fennel au gratin method
- Cut off the fronds and stems of the fennel and save them for garnish or a different creation; they are delicious in fish or chicken broths. Cut the bulbs in quarters, remove the woody cores and slice into 1-2 inch pieces.
- Bring a pot of water to boil. Add a pinch of salt. Once boiling, add the fennel and allow to cook for 5 minutes, or until the fennel is almost tender. Drain well.
- In a bowl toss the cooked fennel with 1 tablespoon olive oil.
- Cut approximately 1/2 head of cauliflower in chunks that will fit into your food processor. Use the grating blade to make cauliflower crumbs.
- In a clean bowl, mix cauliflower crumbs with dehydrated onions, parmesan, gruyere, thyme, salt and pepper.
- Mix half of the cauliflower crumb mixture with the fennel. Add the fennel and crumbs to the greased pan. Now, layer the mozzarella cheese and top with the remainder of the cauliflower crumb mixture. Drizzle 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil over the tippy-top.
- Cover the pan and place in oven preheated to 375° for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes, remove the cover and bake until cheese is golden brown. Allow to rest for 5 minutes before serving.
Note: You may garnish with a sprinkling of chopped fresh fennel fronds. Purdy!
Active Time: 20 minutes
This post was generously contributed by Monica Ford of Real Food Devotee. Monica's recipes will make your mouth water and your tummy purr. If you're lucky enough to live in Los Angeles, Real Food Devotee can make your life easier by delivering nutrient dense goodies directly to your door.