I LOVE Fennel. I use it in many dishes. In soups, krauts, tonics, on salads, roasted and more! This Fennel Au Gratin is a perfect pairing with chicken or fish. I know “au gratin” by definition includes bread crumbs but my jeans look better sans bread crumbs. So let’s switch it up, baby! It’s perfectly delicious!
Fennel au gratin ingredients
- 2 pounds fennel bulbs (3-4 bulbs)
- 3 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 Tablespoon Butter
- 1 Cup Shredded Parmesan Cheese
- 1 Cup Shredded Gruyere Cheese
- 1 Cup Shredded Mozzarella
- 1 Cup Cauliflower Crumbs
- Sea salt – Where to buy good quality sea salt
- Black pepper
- Chopped dehydrated onions
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme
- Chopped fennel fronds, for garnish
Fennel au gratin method
- Cut off the fronds and stems of the fennel and save them for garnish or a different creation; they are delicious in fish or chicken broths. Cut the bulbs in quarters, remove the woody cores and slice into 1-2 inch pieces.
- Bring a pot of water to boil. Add a pinch of salt. Once boiling, add the fennel and allow to cook for 5 minutes, or until the fennel is almost tender. Drain well.
- In a bowl toss the cooked fennel with 1 tablespoon olive oil.
- Cut approximately 1/2 head of cauliflower in chunks that will fit into your food processor. Use the grating blade to make cauliflower crumbs.
- In a clean bowl, mix cauliflower crumbs with dehydrated onions, parmesan, gruyere, thyme, salt and pepper.
- Mix half of the cauliflower crumb mixture with the fennel. Add the fennel and crumbs to the greased pan. Now, layer the mozzarella cheese and top with the remainder of the cauliflower crumb mixture. Drizzle 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil over the tippy-top.
- Cover the pan and place in oven preheated to 375° for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes, remove the cover and bake until cheese is golden brown. Allow to rest for 5 minutes before serving.
Note: You may garnish with a sprinkling of chopped fresh fennel fronds. Purdy!
Active Time: 20 minutes
Want more delicious simplicity in your life?
Even for the most organized families, getting healthy and delicious meals on the table can be such a challenge.
That’s why my hubby and I created Real Plans – our online meal planner that will revolutionize the way you feed your family.
- Stuck in a rut with the same old dinners? Our delicious, home-style recipes are kitchen-tested and family-approved.
- Got special dietary restrictions or tastes? We offer paleo, vegetarian, gluten-free and dairy-free plans in addition to traditional real food menus. Plus you can add and change recipes to your heart’s content.
- Family of eight or party of one… We’ve got you covered with fully customizable portion sizes.
- Dread grocery shopping? Our dynamic smart phone app makes shopping a breeze.
Plus handy bonuses like…
- A weekly timeline to help you spend the least time possible slaving away in the kitchen.
- Plan ahead options including a month’s recipes in advance, plus a double recipe each week to bank ‘fast food’ in the freezer.
Click here to subscribe to Real Plans now
Traditional, Paleo, Vegetarian, Gluten-free, and Dairy-free plans available
Our 30 day money back guarantee makes Real Plans RISK FREE!
This post was generously contributed by Monica Ford of Real Food Devotee. Monica’s recipes will make your mouth water and your tummy purr. If you’re lucky enough to live in Los Angeles, Real Food Devotee can make your life easier by delivering nutrient dense goodies directly to your door.