I have fond memories of Easter as a kid. My mom would clip branches of a bright yellow blooming forsythia bush for our Easter tree that was adorned with springtime decorations. We dyed eggs, hunted them down, and ate chocolate bunnies and Cadbury mini eggs until we never wanted to eat again.
And of course there were hard-boiled eggs for weeks.
I was never a big fan of egg salad, mostly because I despised jarred mayonnaise – apart from the occasional Miracle Whip (disgusting, I know). But with homemade mayo, egg salad is a scoop of heaven. Add in some spice, and it’s heaven on fire – in a good way. Try this fiery egg salad, and you’ll know what I mean.
Now, let’s talk Sriracha for a moment. You know the spicy Thai red pepper sauce with the green squirt top and the rooster on it, right? Real foodies may be bummed to learn that this stuff is preserved with potassium sorbate, sodium bisulfite, and xanthan gum. Icky yucky.
Lucky for us, this recipe – from Michelle Tam’s new book: Nom Nom Paleo – makes an authentic Sriracha that tastes just like the bottled stuff without the junk. Just make sure you wear gloves when your dealin’ with those hot peppers, ok?
By the way, if you don’t have this book, you need to hop on over and get it now. It’s a super fun, beautiful hardcover, packed with simple yet inspiring recipes that your whole family will love.
This recipe is really three wrapped into one, but don’t be intimidated because even all together this is pretty simple to make. And so worth it…Enjoy!
Fiery egg salad ingredients
- 12 eggs
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup homemade mayo (recipe below)
- 3 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 3 T. Sriracha – recipe below (reduce if you’re worried about your salad being too fiery)
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Fiery egg salad method
- Hard boil, cool, and peel eggs. Learn how to boil and peel the perfect hardboiled egg here.
- In a mixing bowl mash the peeled hardboiled eggs with a potato masher or a fork.
- Mix in mustard and mayo until well combined.
- Dice bell pepper and fold into egg mixture.
- Add Sriracha, salt and pepper to taste. If it’s too hot, add more mayo to help cut the heat.
- Serve on toasted sourdough bread with butter, or go paleo and serve on whole iceberg lettuce leaf ‘wraps’ for a refreshing, contrasting cool crunch.
Homemade mayonnaise method
- 2 eggs, at room temperature
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 2 T. lemon juice
- 1 T. fresh whey (optional)
- 3/4 cup refined coconut oil, (does NOT taste like coconut) melted and cooled – Buy coconut oil in bulk
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil – my favorite Californian olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt – – This is the salt I buy in bulk
Homemade mayonnaise method
- Separate one egg, discarding or saving the white.
- Add the yolk to the food processor with the other egg (yolk and white), mustard, lemon juice, whey and sea salt and blend for 20 seconds.
- Using the drip feature on most food processors, slowly – drip by drip – add the cooled coconut oil and olive oil as the food processor continues to run.
- Continue adding the oils slowly. When completely combined the consistency is typically thinner than conventional mayo, but not runny.
- With whey, mayonnaise will last several weeks in the fridge; without it, it will last for up to 1 week.
Homemade sriracha ingredients
(from Nom Nom Paleo)
- 1 1/2 pounds red jalapeno peppers
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 3 T. tomato paste
- 3 T. raw honey – If you can’t find local, get this one
- 2 T. fish sauce – I absolutely adore this fish sauce
- 1 1/2 tsp. sea salt – This is the salt I buy in bulk
Homemade sriracha method
- Wearing gloves to avoid burning your skin; stem, seed, and roughly chop the peppers. Peel and mince the garlic.
- Place all ingredients in a food processor and blend until very smooth.
- Pour the mixture into a medium saucepan, bring to a boil and immediately reduce the heat to low. Simmer and stir for about a half hour for the sauce to thicken.
- Cool completely before serving. The sauce will store in the refrigerator for 6-8 weeks.
Want more quick and easy?
Even for the most organized families, getting healthy dinner on the table can be such a challenge.
That’s why I am thrilled to introduce Real Plans – our new online meal planner that will revolutionize the way you get dinner on the table.
- Stuck in a rut with the same old dinners? Our delicious, home-style recipes are kitchen-tested and family-approved.
- Got special dietary restrictions or tastes? We offer paleo, vegetarian, gluten-free and dairy-free plans in addition to traditional real food menus. Plus you can add and change recipes to your heart’s content.
- Family of eight or party of one… We’ve got you covered with fully customizable portion sizes.
- Dread grocery shopping? Our dynamic smart phone app makes shopping a breeze.
Plus handy bonuses like…
- A weekly timeline to help you spend the least time possible slaving away in the kitchen.
- Plan ahead options including a month’s recipes in advance, plus a double recipe each week to bank ‘fast food’ in the freezer.
Click here to subscribe to Real Plans now
Traditional, Paleo, Vegetarian, Gluten-free, and Dairy-free plans available
Our 30 day money back guarantee makes Real Plans RISK FREE!