You might look at this post and think, “Everyone knows how to boil an egg.” Not so my friends. I see people struggle with this all the time and shhhhh…I used to as well.
I am sharing my method for how to make a perfect hard boiled egg every time. Why? Because summer is upon us and deviled eggs are part of any good host or party guest’s repertoire, AND because perfectly boiled eggs from hens raised on pasture are just waiting to be your nutrient dense fast food.
Did you know eggs contain all 8 essential protein building amino acids? That a whole egg contains about 5 grams of fat which will aid you in absorbing the eggs fat soluble vitamins A, K, E, D, B-complex and minerals like iron, phosphorus, potassium and calcium? Did you know that eggs contain choline which is an important component found in every living cell? Another neat fact about choline? It helps to break up cholesterol deposits by preventing fat and cholesterol from sticking to the arteries. These are just a few of the reasons eggs are an incredibly satisfying and nutritive food. So, eat a good egg. Be a good egg.
Perfect hard boiled egg ingredients
- Eggs from hens raised on pasture – learn how to choose good eggs here
- Water -filtered if you’re a fanatic like me – find quality water filters for every budget here
Perfect hard boiled egg method
- Boil enough water to cover as many eggs as you plan to boil.
- Once your water is boiling, use a spoon to gently drop in eggs so that they do not crack.
- Allow them to boil for exactly 10 minutes (I use a timer as exact time keeping is not one of my super powers).
- Drain the hot water from your pot.
- Bounce the eggs in the pot so that the shells crack*
- Place the pot of eggs in the sink and run cold water over them for 1:30 minutes.
- Peel your eggs easily and perfectly. Boom! You’re a hero!
*If you do not wish to eat your eggs right away, do not crack the shell. Hard boiled eggs keep nicely in the fridge when their shells are intact. Instead, drain the hot water from the pot and run COLD water over the eggs until they are cool and store for later fast food.
Want more delicious simplicity in your life?
Even for the most organized families, getting healthy and delicious meals on the table can be such a challenge.
That’s why my hubby and I created Real Plans – our online meal planner that will revolutionize the way you feed your family.
- Stuck in a rut with the same old dinners? Our delicious, home-style recipes are kitchen-tested and family-approved.
- Got special dietary restrictions or tastes? We offer paleo, vegetarian, gluten-free and dairy-free plans in addition to traditional real food menus. Plus you can add and change recipes to your heart’s content.
- Family of eight or party of one… We’ve got you covered with fully customizable portion sizes.
- Dread grocery shopping? Our dynamic smart phone app makes shopping a breeze.
Plus handy bonuses like…
- A weekly timeline to help you spend the least time possible slaving away in the kitchen.
- Plan ahead options including a month’s recipes in advance, plus a double recipe each week to bank ‘fast food’ in the freezer.
Click here to subscribe to Real Plans now
Traditional, Paleo, Vegetarian, Gluten-free, and Dairy-free plans available
Our 30 day money back guarantee makes Real Plans RISK FREE!
“How to Make a Perfect Hard Boiled Egg” was generously contributed by Monica Ford of Real Food Devotee. Monica’s delicious recipes will make your mouth water and your tummy purr. If you’re lucky enough to live in Los Angeles, Real Food Devotee can make your life easier by delivering nutrient dense goodies directly to your door.
Storey’s Guide to Raising Chickens. Gail Damerow. Schoolhouse Rd. Pownal, Vermont. 1995. p 141.
Saitoh S, Sato T, Harada H, Takita T. Transfer of soy isoflavone into the egg yolk of chickens. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem. 2001 Oct; 65(10):2220-5.
Photo credit: An Eye Full Studio