[Holistic Squid note: Whether you are planning your holiday meals or just a weekday family dinner, this Gluten Free Gravy is a Real food staple. My favorite? Leftover gravy over scrambled eggs – Don’t knock it ’til you’ve tried it!]
Being a chef in Los Angeles, I am the lucky recipient of so many fun opportunities, like catering Real food parties.
Recently, I cheffed a GAPS-Friendly Fall theme dinner party. Oh boy was it fun! One of the most well-received dishes on the menu was this gluten free gravy!
This gravy contains none of the gluten free flours/thickeners that I find are mostly just as icky as the usual gluten containing flours. Instead, in this recipe I rely on the magic and chemistry of traditional cooking methods to reduce and thicken this gravy into a velvety powerhouse of nutrients.
Nothing we eat has to tear our bodies down. It can all be both delicious and nutrient dense.
Try this gluten free gravy at your Thanksgiving table, and feed your guest with love!
Gluten free gravy ingredients
- ½ cup turkey, chicken or duck fat
- 3 yellow onions, diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 3 cups turkey or chicken bone broth
- 2 bay leaves
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon minced sage
- 1 tablespoon butter (or ghee), preferably from grass fed cows
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon white pepper
- unrefined sea salt
Gluten free gravy method
- Turn stove heat on medium high.
- Melt ½ cup fat skimmed from your chicken or turkey stock (you can also use duck fat or lard) in a wide heavy bottomed sauté pan.
- When fat is shimmering, add onions
- Heat onions for 30-35 minutes, keeping watch and stirring occasionally, until they are soft and golden.
- Add 2 pinches of salt and stir.
- Add 3 cups homemade chicken or turkey broth and bay leaves.
- Simmer broth to reduce by ⅔. This will take approx. 45 minutes – 1 hour.
- Stir occasionally taking care to scrape and mix in the golden brown bits from the bottom and sides of pan.
- Turn off heat and remove bay leaves.
- Add minced sage, pepper, butter and salt to taste.
- Use a blender or immersion blender to bring gravy to a velvety consistency.
- At this point, test the thickness of your gravy. If you like the consistency for your purposes, salt and pepper to taste and serve.
OR If you want thicker gravy, pour it back into your pan and continue to cook down with occasional stirring.
OR If you want thinner gravy, add more bone broth (1 tablespoon at a time) until you reach the desired consistency.
Chef’s notes: If you can have fermented dairy, stir in 1 tablespoon crème fraiche to this gravy just before serving. Divine!
Yields: 2-2 ½ cups depending on your reduction level
Want more delicious simplicity in your life?
Even for the most organized families, getting healthy and delicious meals on the table can be such a challenge.
That’s why my hubby and I created Real Plans – our online meal planner that will revolutionize the way you feed your family.
- Stuck in a rut with the same old dinners? Our delicious, home-style recipes are kitchen-tested and family-approved.
- Got special dietary restrictions or tastes? We offer paleo, vegetarian, gluten-free and dairy-free plans in addition to traditional real food menus. Plus you can add and change recipes to your heart’s content.
- Family of eight or party of one… We’ve got you covered with fully customizable portion sizes.
- Dread grocery shopping? Our dynamic smart phone app makes shopping a breeze.
Plus handy bonuses like…
- A weekly timeline to help you spend the least time possible slaving away in the kitchen.
- Plan ahead options including a month’s recipes in advance, plus a double recipe each week to bank ‘fast food’ in the freezer.
Click here to subscribe to Real Plans now
Traditional, Paleo, Vegetarian, Gluten-free, and Dairy-free plans available
Our 30 day money back guarantee makes Real Plans RISK FREE!
This post was generously contributed by Monica Ford of Real Food Devotee. Monica’s delicious recipes will make your mouth water and your tummy purr. If you’re lucky enough to live in Los Angeles, Real Food Devotee can make your life easier by delivering nutrient dense goodies directly to your door.
bottom right photo credit: Real Food Devotee