I am one of those annoying people who celebrates mine and my friends’ birthdays for about one month at a time. Lots of squealing and gushing. I know some think it’s silly or embarrassing and that I probably should have grown out of such immature trifles by now but, I just can’t help myself.
I love celebrations! And birthdays are the perfect opportunity to celebrate life and shower someone dear to you with over the top love!! This is a perfect time to indulge in the sweeter things while still honoring our bodies with beautiful, nutrient dense food! No food hangovers!
I love coconut flour for a few reasons. It is a great source of protein and fiber. It is easier to digest for most people than grain based flours and it is super absorbent. Why is absorbency important for cake you might ask? Because, my friends, I’ve never been frosting’s biggest fan. Although it looks delightful and pretty, to me, it’s sugary sheath simply covers the cake instead of becoming part of the whole. So the crème fraîche (or strained yogurt) frosting sponges delightfully into this healthy birthday cake. Plus, I love to have cultured food with every meal, and birthday cake is no exception!
Guess whose birthday is comin’ round the corner next week? …None other than the enchanting Emily Bartlett, author of this blog – Holistic Squid.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY, BEAUTIFUL EMILY!!!
Emily is an inspiring person whom I feel lucky to call my friend. This birthday cake recipe goes out to Emily and everyone who cares enough about their body, their loved ones, and their planet to spend a little more time in the kitchen promoting good, long life. Get Real. Be Well.
Happy healthy birthday cake ingredients
- 12 eggs, separated – how to choose the best eggs
- 1 ¾ cup of coconut flour, sifted – find coconut flour here
- 1/8 cup almond flour
- 1/8 cup butter , melted – preferably from pasture raised cows
- 1 cup coconut oil, melted – find coconut oil here
- 1 cup honey² – find healthy sweeteners here
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon cream of tartar
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt – find high quality sea salt here
Happy healthy birthday cake method
- Whisk baking soda, almond flour, and coconut flour together in a bowl and set aside.
- In another bowl, use electric mixer with whisk attachment to beat yolks until fluffy.
- Reduce speed to medium low and beat in vanilla extract, coconut oil, butter and honey.
- Scrape down bowl, then increase speed to high and beat until thick – approximately 1 minute.
- Reduce speed to low and gradually add dry ingredients, scraping down bowl.
- In a separate bowl whisk by hand or use electric mixer with whisk attachment to beat egg whites on medium speed until foamy, approximately 1 minute. Beat in cream of tartar and fine sea salt.
- Increase speed to medium high and beat until whites hold stiff peaks, approximately 2 minutes.
- Gently fold beaten egg whites into yolk and flour mixture.
- Though this recipe will make two 9 inch cake layers, you can opt to divide batter between pans of your choosing as I did in the photo above.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Grease pan liberally with coconut oil.
- Pour batter into pans and lightly smooth the top surface.
- Bake at 350F until layers are golden brown and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean – approximately 20 to 25 minutes.
- Run knife around the cakes. Invert pans onto wire racks and cool completely for at least 1 hour.
Happy healthy frosting ingredients
- 4 cups crème fraîche or strained yogurt – find yogurt and crème fraîche starter cultures here
- 1 ½ cup honey – find healthy sweeteners here
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract OR 1 teaspoon ground vanilla bean OR 2 teaspoons coconut rum
- 1 pinch fine sea salt – find high quality sea salt here
- Topping/filling of your choosing – This is where you can take great creative license. You might choose to only have frosting as your center layer. Or maybe, like me, you found strawberries too tempting this time of year or maybe thinly sliced figs, peaches, shredded coconut or a drizzle of lemon curd are your fancy. I have made this cake with many additions and all have met with rave reviews. Do be warned that a fruit choice will result in a more rustic or homemade appearance for your cake!
Happy Healthy Frosting Method
- Chill your metal bowl and whisk for at least 15 minutes.
- Soften honey by placing jar in warm water until near liquid.
- Whisk crème fraîche, honey, vanilla extract and salt together until completely combined.
- Cover and place back in refrigerator. This frosting can be made 8 hours ahead of time.
Assembling your lovely cake
- Place your base cake layer on a serving platter.
- Remove your frosting from the refrigerator and use a frosting spatula to frost the base layer.
- Replace the frosting in the refrigerator.
- Apply a layer of optional topping to the top of your frosted base. This will become the center filling of the cake.
- Place your frosted base in the refrigerator.
- Now, frost the top layer.
- Using 1 or two spatulas, gently set the top cake layer on top of the first.
- Toppings: match your filling. If you’re a purist and stood by vanilla, try sprinkling ground vanilla bean all over your cake and topping with a decorative vanilla bean or two. Très chic.
- Store cake in refrigerator until served, and don’t forget the candles!
- Check out the “method” section of this yogurt recipe or pick up a lovely brand like Traders Point or Straus. Both brands that make their yogurt from milk of cows raised on pasture. to see how to strain your yogurt. I make my own yogurt and you might too but, if you don’t, use this great
- I use white gold honey for this recipe because it does not have a strong honey taste.
- If you want to flavor this cake with coconut instead of vanilla try substituting coconut rum instead of vanilla extract and top with shredded coconut.
Active Time: 35 minutes
Want more delicious simplicity in your life?
Even for the most organized families, getting healthy and delicious meals on the table can be such a challenge.
That’s why my hubby and I created Real Plans – our online meal planner that will revolutionize the way you feed your family.
- Stuck in a rut with the same old dinners? Our delicious, home-style recipes are kitchen-tested and family-approved.
- Got special dietary restrictions or tastes? We offer paleo, vegetarian, gluten-free and dairy-free plans in addition to traditional real food menus. Plus you can add and change recipes to your heart’s content.
- Family of eight or party of one… We’ve got you covered with fully customizable portion sizes.
- Dread grocery shopping? Our dynamic smart phone app makes shopping a breeze.
Plus handy bonuses like…
- A weekly timeline to help you spend the least time possible slaving away in the kitchen.
- Plan ahead options including a month’s recipes in advance, plus a double recipe each week to bank ‘fast food’ in the freezer.
Click here to subscribe to Real Plans now
Traditional, Paleo, Vegetarian, Gluten-free, and Dairy-free plans available
Our 30 day money back guarantee makes Real Plans RISK FREE!
“Happy Healthy Birthday Cake” was generously contributed by Monica Ford of Real Food Devotee. Monica’s delicious recipes will make your mouth water and your tummy purr. If you’re lucky enough to live in Los Angeles, Real Food Devotee can make your life easier by delivering nutrient dense goodies directly to your door.
photo credit: Real Food Devotee