In a few weeks it will be the one year anniversary of launching my Real Food Meal Plans. Oh, boy has it been an adventure.
In the beginning, I didn’t realize what I had gotten myself into – a huge weekly commitment of testing recipes; compiling shopping lists; writing recipes and cooking time lines; and formatting and editing the meal plans. It took discipline and quite a bit of time to get all of this done for my deadlines each week.
As time passed, I’ve gotten more organized and found ways to make it all work with more ease. I got my husband involved in the techie stuff. We started Paleo Meal Plans, and we have some really exciting stuff in store for you this year.
My favorite part? Testing the recipes, of course!
What better way to try new dishes than to be accountable for a lineup of delicious recipes for hundreds of people each and every week?
This sausage and kale soup has been one of my favorite soup recipes from our winter menus. Super simple to pull together. Warm and satisfying for lunch or dinner. I love the balance of the bright bitter kale with the dark savory flavors of the sausage and pancetta.
It’s a tough job, but someone’s got to do it.
Kale and sausage soup ingredients
- 4 oz. pancetta (or bacon) – get forage fed pork online
- 1 lb. Italian sausage – get forage fed pork online
- 1 onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 medium red potatoes (or sub sweet potatoes for a paleo-friendly dish)
- 3 cups kale
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- 6 cups chicken stock – learn how to make chicken stock
- 1 cup raw cream (optional) – find raw dairy near you
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
Kale and sausage soup method
- Dice pancetta. Remove sausage from casing. Chop the onion; mince the garlic and cut the potatoes into thick matchsticks. Strip fibrous stalk from kale and mince.
- Heat a large stock pot to medium high and add the pancetta, cooking until starting to crisp, about 5 minutes. Add the red pepper flakes and sausage to the pot; breaking sausage into small pieces with a wooden spoon and cook until browned.
- Add the onions and garlic to the sausage; cook until translucent.
- Add chicken stock to the pot, followed by the potatoes. Bring stock to a boil then turn down to a simmer. Cook until potatoes are tender, about 8-10 minutes. Add the kale and cook just a couple of minutes until wilted and bright green.
- Stir in the optional raw cream. Season with sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste. Serve hot.