I don’t mind admitting we sometimes have ice cream for breakfast at my house and feel not a drop of guilt. Just look at these ingredients (sans the optional rum, y’all!). Piña Colada ice cream is a wonderful, nutrient-dense treat.
I love the cool, smooth cream coupled with the chewy, golden chunks of pineapple. It doesn’t get much better than this. Delicious. Nutritious. The bomb on a sunny afternoon!
This ice cream is honey sweetened. I prefer raw honey without a strong honey flavor for this and my many other ice cream recipes. My favorite honey to achieve this taste is White Gold Honey. Honey is like wine. It matures and changes in taste and even texture. Though it does not spoil per se, it thickens, thins and crystallizes at varying rates. As long as you are getting raw honey from a source you trust, enjoy it in your ice cream with abandon!
Piña Colada Ice Cream Ingredients
- 2 ½ cups raw cream
- 1 cup coconut milk (not the light version)
- 4 yolks from pasture-based eggs
- 4 whole eggs from pasture-based hens
- ½ cup honey – try this one
- 1 cup chopped dried pineapple (unsulfured, unsweetened, organic) – like these
- 1 cup organic shredded coconut – get it here
- 1 T. vanilla extract
- 1 pinch unrefined sea salt
- 2 T. light rum (optional)
Piña Colada Ice Cream Method
- Beat eggs until smooth and then completely combine and dissolve honey in eggs. (The eggs help to dissolve the honey nicely.)
- Add all other ingredients and completely combine.
- Add whisked together ingredients to already running ice cream machine (like this one)
- Pack into a freezer safe container. When serving, top with a pinch of shredded coconut for a pretty presentation.
Yields: 1½ quarts
And now, here’s a little bonus for all my party people:
Add to blender:
- ½ cup light rum
- ½ cup piña colada ice cream
- ½ cup coconut milk
- ¼ cup fresh pineapple
- Ice cubes to middle of blender
Blend and pour 4 servings. Boom! It’s a party!
This post was generously contributed by Monica Ford of Real Food Devotee. Check back next Friday for more delicious recipes from Monica that will make your mouth water and your tummy purr. If you’re lucky enough to live in Los Angeles, Real Food Devotee can make your life easier by delivering nutrient dense goodies directly to your door.
Photo Credit: An Eye Full Studio