It is a tradition on my mom’s side of the family to eat pork and sauerkraut with mashed potatoes every new year’s day. Growing up, I never appreciated the deliciousness of this Pennsylvania Dutch comfort food – though I really loved instant mashed potatoes out of a box!
Now a Real food-lovin’ grown-up, there’s not much I enjoy more than slow cooked pork. Add some homemade sauerkraut and spoon it over cauliflower mash for a warm bowl of love any time of the year. I prefer cauliflower instead of potatoes for my mash because they are amazingly delicious and equally comforting, but don’t create the sensation of eating a bowl of paste that I get when I eat spuds.
Ingredients for Slow-Cooked Pork and Sauerkraut
- 5-6 pound pork roast (butt or shoulder) – this can be boneless or bone-in
- 1/4 cup juniper berries, crushed
- 3-4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 cup white wine (substitute with 1/4 c. apple cider vinegar and 1/4 c. water if on GAPS diet)
- 2 tablespoons sea salt – Where to find sea salt
- 2 quarts homemade or store bought naturally fermented sauerkraut – Where to find cultured veggies
- 2 cups homemade chicken or pork stock – How to make great stock
- 5 1/2 quart or larger slow cooker
Steps for Making Slow-Cooked Pork and Sauerkraut
- Rinse the roast and pat dry with paper towels
- Mix wine, juniper berries, garlic, and sea salt. Pour over roast, cover and refrigerate for at least 3 hours or overnight.
- Remove roast from marinate, pat dry.
- Sear all sides of roast in a hot pan (fat side first) until browned.
- Place roast into slow cooker with marinade and stock.
- Cook for 8 hours on low or until meat begins to falls apart.
- Add sauerkraut and cook until well mingled – another hour or 2 on low.
- Serve over mash below.
Ingredients for Cauliflower Mash
- 2 heads organic cauliflower, rinsed and broken into florets
- Plenty of grass-fed butter (or Ghee)
- Sea Salt
- Food Processor
Steps for Making Cauliflower Mash
- Add cauliflower florets to a large sauce pan and fill halfway with filtered water. Where to find the right water filter for every need and budget
- Cover and steam until florets are soft, strain and discard water.
- Add cauliflower to your food processor and process in small batches until very smooth.
- Add plenty of butter and salt to taste.
Notes: The secret to awesome cauli’ mash is using a food processor to make it creamy. If you don’t have a food processor you could try processing small batches in a blender, but in my experience a hand potato masher or a electric mixer won’t do the trick because you want the florets to be completely pureed. You could also roast the cauliflower instead of steaming for a richer flavor, but don’t add any extra liquid until the florets are completely pureed, otherwise you may end up with cauliflower soup.
Feeds 6 with leftovers.
Happy new year!
This post can be seen at the following blog carnival: GAPS Friendly Friday. Hop on over to check out some other posts you may enjoy!
Want more delicious simplicity in your life?
Even for the most organized families, getting healthy dinner on the table can be such a challenge.
That’s why I am thrilled to introduce Real Plans – our new online meal planner that will revolutionize the way you get dinner on the table.
- Stuck in a rut with the same old dinners? Our delicious, home-style recipes are kitchen-tested and family-approved.
- Got special dietary restrictions or tastes? We offer paleo, vegetarian, gluten-free and dairy-free plans in addition to traditional real food menus. Plus you can add and change recipes to your heart’s content.
- Family of eight or party of one… We’ve got you covered with fully customizable portion sizes.
- Dread grocery shopping? Our dynamic smart phone app makes shopping a breeze.
Plus handy bonuses like…
- A weekly timeline to help you spend the least time possible slaving away in the kitchen.
- Plan ahead options including a month’s recipes in advance, plus a double recipe each week to bank ‘fast food’ in the freezer.
Click here to subscribe to Real Plans now
Traditional, Paleo, Vegetarian, Gluten-free, and Dairy-free plans available
Our 30 day money back guarantee makes Real Plans RISK FREE!