Shepherd’s pie is the ultimate home-cooked comfort food – savory lamb or beef and veggies in a rich gravy, topped with buttery mash. I like to make mine with cauliflower crust, simply because I prefer it to potatoes, but you could easily swap it out for classic mashed potatoes or get all-kinds-of-crazy with parsnips, yams or other root veggies.
Another great thing about shepherd’s pie is it makes a great hiding place for nutrient-dense liver. (Learn why liver is so great here.) I puree my liver in the food processor or blender, and simply saute it with the ground meat. On your plate and in your mouth, you’ll forget all about it as you enjoy your delicious dinner.
Shepherd’s pie with cauliflower crust ingredients
- 3/4 cups butter from grass fed cows, divided
- 1/2 head cauliflower, broken into florets
- 1 pound ground lamb (or beef), pasture-raised
- 1/4 pound liver, pureed (optional)
- 1 cup beef broth
- 3 T. sprouted wheat flour
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 cup peas
- 1 T. chopped parsley
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
Shepherd’s pie with cauliflower crust method
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a large saucepan, cover the cauliflower florets with filtered water and boil until tender. Drain and transfer to a food processor with 3 T. butter. Process until cauliflower is smooth. Season with sea salt and pepper to taste and set aside.
- Heat the beef broth in a small saucepan until hot.
- Sauté the onions and carrots with 3 T. butter until they begin to soften. Add the ground meat and optional liver to brown, breaking meat apart into small pieces with a wooden spoon.
- Sprinkle in sprouted wheat flour, then slowly stir in the hot beef broth and cook until the liquid thickens into a gravy (this is called a ‘roux’).
- Add the peas and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer the meat mixture into a shallow 2-quart casserole dish.
- Spoon the cauliflower mash over the meat and spread evenly. Use a fork to gently score the top of the mash for decorative texture.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until the top is lightly browned. Garnish with chopped parsley and serve.
Want more delicious simplicity in your life?
Even for the most organized families, getting healthy dinner on the table can be such a challenge.
That’s why I am thrilled to introduce Real Plans – our new online meal planner that will revolutionize the way you get dinner on the table.
- Stuck in a rut with the same old dinners? Our delicious, home-style recipes are kitchen-tested and family-approved.
- Got special dietary restrictions or tastes? We offer paleo, vegetarian, gluten-free and dairy-free plans in addition to traditional real food menus. Plus you can add and change recipes to your heart’s content.
- Family of eight or party of one… We’ve got you covered with fully customizable portion sizes.
- Dread grocery shopping? Our dynamic smart phone app makes shopping a breeze.
Plus handy bonuses like…
- A weekly timeline to help you spend the least time possible slaving away in the kitchen.
- Plan ahead options including a month’s recipes in advance, plus a double recipe each week to bank ‘fast food’ in the freezer.
Click here to subscribe to Real Plans now
Traditional, Paleo, Vegetarian, Gluten-free, and Dairy-free plans available
Our 30 day money back guarantee makes Real Plans RISK FREE!