Fall is in the air, and these slow cooked caramel apples are just the thing to waft buttery cinnamon goodness through your house and get you in the mood for autumn.
While I am a self-confessed summertime gal, this season holds a special place in my heart. Back in Pennsylvania as a kid, the air smelled cool and crisp, a welcome and refreshing change from the hot and humid months. The leaves were retina burning shades of yellow, red, and orange – stunning, year after year.
Out here in Southern California, we have finally gotten some cooler nights, and my kids hound me each morning with plans for their ever-changing Halloween costume ideas.
I love simple recipes like this one that stir up nostalgia while taking hardly any time out of my busy schedule. I love to eat slow cooked caramel apples straight out of the slow cooker, but they are fantastic over hot oatmeal for breakfast, stirred into my homemade yogurt, or over simple vanilla ice cream.
Slow cooked caramel apples ingredients
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar – get it online here
- 6 large apples
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt – this is my favorite sea salt
For the topping:
- 1/2 cup sprouted flour – get it online here
- 1/4 cup coconut, dried – get it online here
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar – get it online here
- 1/4 cup butter, melted – preferably from grass fed cows
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract – get it online here
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon – buy spices in bulk online here
Slow cooked caramel apples method
- Peel, core and cut apples into 2 inch pieces.
- In a mixing bowl, combine coconut sugar, apples, and salt. Spread onto bottom of slow cooker.
- Mix your crumble topping ingredients with clean hands until well combined. Sprinkle it over top of the apples. Cook on low for 4 hours, or high for 2 hours.
- Turn off heat and let sit, covered, for one hour to let the caramel thicken.
- Serve over yogurt, ice cream, or just on their own. Yum!
Want more yummy comfort in your life?
Nothing beats a home-cooked meal, but even for the most organized families, getting healthy dinner on the table can be such a challenge.
That’s why I am thrilled to introduce Real Plans – our new online meal planner that will revolutionize the way you get dinner on the table.
- Stuck in a rut with the same old dinners? Our delicious, home-style recipes are kitchen-tested and family-approved.
- Got special dietary restrictions or tastes? We offer paleo, vegetarian, gluten-free and dairy-free plans in addition to traditional real food menus. Plus you can add and change recipes to your heart’s content.
- Family of eight or party of one… We’ve got you covered with fully customizable portion sizes.
- Dread grocery shopping? Our dynamic smart phone app makes shopping a breeze.
Plus handy bonuses like…
- A weekly timeline to help you spend the least time possible slaving away in the kitchen.
- Plan ahead options including a month’s recipes in advance, plus a double recipe each week to bank ‘fast food’ in the freezer.
Click here to subscribe to Real Plans now
Traditional, Paleo, Vegetarian, Gluten-free, and Dairy-free plans available
Our 30 day money back guarantee makes Real Plans RISK FREE!