So nice to have a gourmet treat tucked away in your freezer. This one is nourishing, a delightful change from the usual and very simple to create. Impress your dinner guests or reconnect with yourself for a few slow moments with this delicious Spiced Persimmon Ice Cream.
Spiced persimmon ice cream ingredients
- 2 cups pureed, ripe, seeded persimmons (approximately 6 persimmons)
- 4 egg yolks – eggs from hens raised on pasture
- 4 eggs
- 2/3 cup raw honey
- Scant 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon fine ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups heavy cream – if raw cream in unavailable try cream from cows raised on pasture
Spiced persimmon ice cream method
- Allow your jar of raw honey to soften a bit by placing on top of your oven, outside on a warm day or in a warm water bath.
- Peel and remove seeds from ripe persimmons. Puree persimmons in blender until smooth.
- In a bowl, wisk 4 eggs and 4 egg yolks together. Add 2/3 cups softened raw honey and combine with whisk until honey is dissolved. *For most ice cream I prefer raw honey without a strong honey flavor. “Creamed Honey” best achieves this taste (i.e. White Gold Honey from New Zealand).
- Add cardamom, black pepper, vanilla and cream to the eggs and honey and combine all.
- Now combine all in blender and puree until smooth.
- Turn on ice cream machine and pour all ingredients from blender to ice cream machine and follow your particular ice cream maker's instructions.
Active Time: 20 minutes
“Spiced Persimmon Ice Cream” was generously contributed by Monica Ford of Real Food Devotee. Monica's delicious recipes will make your mouth water and your tummy purr. If you're lucky enough to live in Los Angeles, Real Food Devotee can make your life easier by delivering nutrient dense goodies directly to your door.
Photo credit: Little Blue Hen