When you are trying to conceive, it’s especially important to nourish your body with Real Food to optimize fertility and stock your body with the materials it needs to make a healthy baby. While this sounds logical, you may be surprised by some of the suggestions below.
These nutrient-dense foods offer an abundance of fat-soluble vitamins, antioxidants, minerals and wholesome fats in six main categories: seafood, liver, full fat dairy, eggs, animal/coconut fats and bone broth. It is essential to source these foods from good quality sources including pasture raised animals, sustainably harvested fish, and organic, preferably unpasteurized dairy.
40 Fertility Superfoods
- Oysters on the half shell
- Butter on everything
- Liver and onions
- Sushi with extra masago, tobiko, and ikura
- Fermented cod liver oil with high vitamin butter oil
- Bone broth
- Homemade whipped cream
- Pastured eggs scrambled with cream or fried in butter
- Salmon with cream sauce
- Clams with drawn butter
- Mussels in their own broth
- Pate and Cheese Plate
- Fried chicken liver
- Foie gras
- Milk shakes made with egg yolk and cream
- Ice cream made with egg yolks and cream
- Homemade mayonnaise
- Clam chowder-made with lots of cream
- Cream of ___ soup
- Cheese fondue
- Taramasalata (greek dip made with carp roe)
- Caesar salad with extra dressing (egg yolk, anchovies)
- Fried Sardines
- Veggies sauteed in bacon grease
- Full fat yogurt
- Cheese burgers (Grass fed beef with ground liver mixed in)
- Spaghetti bolognese (Use grass fed beef and add ground liver and heart)
- Coconut oil, cream, butter
- Roasted potatoes in duck fat
- Flan or custard
- Homemade ranch dressing (mayo, buttermilk, creme fraiche)
- Meatloaf with hidden ground liver and heart
- Cured salmon with creme fraiche
- Fish pie (with oily fish and lots of cream)
- Popcorn slathered with ghee or butter
- Mixed of Seafood Paella
For more information on eating Real, Nutrient Dense Food for optimal fertility, pregnancy and birth, and the healthiest child possible, read this post on the alternative to prenatal vitamins and check out the awesome Beautiful Babies E-Course by Food Renegade. Bon Apetit!
Ready to optimize your fertility?
After over two years in the making, my book Feed Your Fertility is now available!
Very few women and men expect to have trouble when it comes to having a family, and coming up against obstacles can bring about epic levels of stress. Deciding what steps to take can be absolutely baffling.
Co-authored with my dear friend and esteemed colleague, Laura Erlich, we have spent hours upon hours writing, revising, and revising again to bring you the very best information we could compile in 200+ pages based on our combined three decades of professional and personal experience in the fields of Chinese medicine, fertility, pregnancy, and real food nutrition.
Whether it’s due to the mounting stress and toxins in our modern lives or simply the fact that many couples are waiting longer to start a family, fertility challenges are on the rise. Whether you’ve just started thinking about making babies or are experiencing challenges trying to conceive, we’ve written this book for you.
In it we explore:
- How your lifestyle may be inhibiting your ability to conceive – and what to do about it
- Why popular fertility diets may be leading you down the wrong road
- What foods to eat to optimize and nourish your fertility, and how to adopt a real foods diet
- How to determine your personal health imbalances that may be interfering with your fertility
- How to use Chinese medicine to bring your body into balance and improve your odds of conception
- How to streamline your supplements and take only what you really need
- Your natural and medical treatment options for common fertility issues
- How to navigate the medical fertility world and when to seek help
Get your pregnancy on track the natural, time-tested way and enjoy your journey to motherhood with Feed Your Fertility.