A.K.A. Persian Lactation Stew. Not just for nursing moms, this delicious dish was delivered to me by my dear friend, Anna, after the birth of my first child and enjoyed by the whole family. This is great to take to a new mom or prepare ahead and freeze yourself for when baby arrives. I promise it won’t make your husband, toddler, or visiting grandma lactate!
Fenugreek (seeds and greens) is the key ingredient that promotes lactation, and it can be increased for more effect or even omitted if it is unavailable. This recipe works great with grass-fed beef as well as lamb, regular potatoes or yams, and various types of greens.
Lactation stew ingredients
- 2 lbs cubed grass-fed stew meat (beef, bison, or lamb)
- 1 Tbsp turmeric
- 1 Tbsp fenugreek seeds (from a Persian market or a well-stocked health food store)
- Sea salt – Where to find sea salt
- Dash of cinnamon
- Olive oil as needed
- 2 bunches green onions/chives
- 2-4 bunches fenugreek greens (Buy at a Persian market or substitute with other greens)
- 1 bunch dill
- 1 bunch parsley
- 1 bunch celery
- 1 sweet potato or any potato cubed
Lactation stew method
- In a large pan: Heat olive oil. Add turmeric, salt, fenugreek seeds, and cinnamon.
- Add meat and and cook in oil and spices until pink is gone.
- In a food processor (or by hand) finely chop all the green herbs and celery.
- Place meat with cooking oil and spices in a slow cooker with chopped herbs and celery, sweet potato cubes, and a generous glug of olive oil.
- Cover and cook on a medium setting until meat falls apart (about 4-6 hours). You may want to add some water to thin it out to desired consistency.
- Serve over brown rice with a big dollop of full fat Greek yogurt.
Got Real Plans?
Do you ever wonder how a real foodie gets it all done?
I am thrilled to introduce Real Plans – our new online meal planner that will revolutionize the way you get dinner on the table.
- Stuck in a rut with the same old dinners? Our delicious, homestyle recipes are kitchen-tested and family-approved.
- Got special dietary restrictions or tastes? We offer paleo, vegetarian, gluten-free and dairy-free plans in addition to traditional real food menus. Plus you can add and change recipes to your heart’s content.
- Family of eight or party of one… We’ve got you covered with fully customizable portion sizes.
- Dread grocery shopping? Our dynamic smartphone app makes shopping a breeze.
Plus smart bonuses like…
- A weekly timeline to help you spend the least time possible slaving away in the kitchen.
- Plan ahead options including a month’s recipes in advance, plus a double recipe each week to bank ‘fast food’ in the freezer.
Click here to subscribe to Real Plans now
Traditional, Paleo, Vegetarian, Gluten-free, and Dairy-free plans available
Our 30-day money back guarantee makes it RISK FREE!