In dreaming up recipes for my weekly meal plans service, sometimes I just stare in my fridge, praying that inspiration will come. That’s when I know it’s time for a new cookbook to spark ideas and remind me of flavors that I’ve forgotten.
I discovered this red bell pepper soup in my most recent cookbook crush – Homemade by Yvette Van Boven. My creative juices were flowing after the very first spoonful. Simple and bright, highlighting the fresh flavors of summer, this soup can be enjoyed chilled or hot as the season begins to turn cooler.
The surprise of citrus comes from the juice and zest of an orange, and a few dollops of super herby oil make this simple soup seem like a culinary masterpiece.
Inspiration renewed. Thanks, Homemade.
Bell pepper soup ingredients
- 4 red bell peppers
- 1 onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 orange
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 14 ounces whole peeled tomatoes
- 2 cups chicken stock
- sea salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
For the basil tarragon olive oil:
- 1 bunch basil
- 1 bunch tarragon
- 3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- sea salt, to taste
Bell pepper soup method
- Sear the peppers on the grill or over the open flame of the stove, turning frequently until blackened on all sides. Place the blackened peppers in a bowl covered with a cloth or a brown paper bag rolled closed.
- Meanwhile, dice the onion and mince the garlic. Juice and zest the orange.
- In a soup pot, over medium high heat, saute the onion in olive oil. Add the garlic, tomatoes (including liquid), and broth. Simmer for about 30 minutes.
- Remove the peppers and peel off the skin in a bowl of water and discard. Remove seeds and pith, and discard. Chop the remaining pepper flesh coarsely, and add to soup.
- Using an immersion blender (or standing blender), briefly blend the soup until chunky, not smooth. Stir in orange juice and zest.
- For the oil, place herbs in a blender or food processor with olive oil. Pulse until smooth. Season with sea salt to taste.
- Serve cool or hot drizzled with basil tarragon oil.
Got Real Plans?
Even for the most organized families, getting healthy dinner on the table can be such a challenge.
That’s why I am thrilled to introduce Real Plans – our new online meal planner that will revolutionize the way you get dinner on the table.
- Stuck in a rut with the same old dinners? Our delicious, home-style recipes are kitchen-tested and family-approved.
- Got special dietary restrictions or tastes? We offer paleo, vegetarian, gluten-free and dairy-free plans in addition to traditional real food menus. Plus you can add and change recipes to your heart’s content.
- Family of eight or party of one… We’ve got you covered with fully customizable portion sizes.
- Dread grocery shopping? Our dynamic smartphone app makes shopping a breeze.
Plus smart bonuses like…
- A weekly timeline to help you spend the least time possible slaving away in the kitchen.
- Plan ahead options including a month’s recipes in advance, plus a double recipe each week to bank ‘fast food’ in the freezer.
Click here to subscribe to Real Plans now
Traditional, Paleo, Vegetarian, Gluten-free, and Dairy-free plans available
Our 30 day money back guarantee makes Real Plans RISK FREE!