I love quick and easy nutrient dense food. Especially seasonal, elegant finger foods like these fried squash and zucchini rounds. Amidst all the time-intensive bone broths, sauces, and stews, it’s nice to have some easy go-to choices when the fuss and muss are not on the menu.
Dinner doesn’t always have to be a grand undertaking. And guess what? These fried squash and zucchini rounds are even grain free.
Summer squash and zucchini are almost gone from the farmers market but, there is still time to enjoy this delicious, crispy, vitamin-rich starter. It is particularly perfect topped with finely grated cheese, yogurt or crème fraiche.
Fried squash and zucchini rounds ingredients
- 2 summer squash and/or zucchini
- 2 eggs, preferably pasture raised
- ¼ cup arrowroot
- 1 tablespoon chopped dehydrated onions
- ½ tablespoon granulated garlic
- ½ teaspoon unrefined sea salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 3 tablespoons lard, bacon drippings or tallow, preferably from animals raised on pasture *
Fried squash and zucchini rounds method
- Chop squash in ¼ inch rounds.
- Using a whisk or fork, mix arrowroot and all spices in one bowl.
- Beat eggs in another bowl.
- Submerge a each squash round in egg wash and then dredge in the arrowroot/spice mixture.
- Pop the dredged squash is the frying pan. Do not crowd the pan.
- Fry until golden brown on either side.
- Lay on a plate lined with a paper towel.
- Top either with finely grated cheese, yogurt or crème fraiche.**
*You may substitute lard or tallow with coconut oil if you prefer.
**I make my own yogurt and you might too but, if you don’t, use this great recipe or pick up a lovely brand like Traders Point or Straus. Both brands that make their yogurt from milk of cows raised on pasture.
This post was generously contributed by Monica Ford of Real Food Devotee. Monica’s delicious recipes will make your mouth water and your tummy purr. If you’re lucky enough to live in Los Angeles, Real Food Devotee can make your life easier by delivering nutrient dense goodies directly to your door.
photo credit: An Eye Full Studio