I love quick and easy nutrient dense food. Especially seasonal, elegant finger foods like these fried squash and zucchini rounds. Amidst all the time-intensive bone broths, sauces, and stews, it’s nice to have some easy go-to choices when the fuss and muss are not on the menu.
Dinner doesn’t always have to be a grand undertaking. And guess what? These fried squash and zucchini rounds are even grain free.
Summer squash and zucchini are almost gone from the farmers market but, there is still time to enjoy this delicious, crispy, vitamin-rich starter. It is particularly perfect topped with finely grated cheese, yogurt or crème fraiche.
Fried squash and zucchini rounds ingredients
- 2 summer squash and/or zucchini
- 2 eggs, preferably pasture raised
- ¼ cup arrowroot
- 1 tablespoon chopped dehydrated onions
- ½ tablespoon granulated garlic
- ½ teaspoon unrefined sea salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 3 tablespoons lard, bacon drippings or tallow, preferably from animals raised on pasture *
Fried squash and zucchini rounds method
- Chop squash in ¼ inch rounds.
- Using a whisk or fork, mix arrowroot and all spices in one bowl.
- Beat eggs in another bowl.
- Submerge a each squash round in egg wash and then dredge in the arrowroot/spice mixture.
- Pop the dredged squash is the frying pan. Do not crowd the pan.
- Fry until golden brown on either side.
- Lay on a plate lined with a paper towel.
- Top either with finely grated cheese, yogurt or crème fraiche.**
*You may substitute lard or tallow with coconut oil if you prefer.
**Check out the “method” section of this Straus. Both brands that make their yogurt from milk of cows raised on pasture.to see how to strain your yogurt. I make my own yogurt and you might too but, if you don’t, use this great recipe or pick up a lovely brand like Traders Point or
Want more delicious simplicity in your life?
Even for the most organized families, getting healthy and delicious meals on the table can be such a challenge.
That’s why my hubby and I created Real Plans – our online meal planner that will revolutionize the way you feed your family.
- Stuck in a rut with the same old dinners? Our delicious, home-style recipes are kitchen-tested and family-approved.
- Got special dietary restrictions or tastes? We offer paleo, vegetarian, gluten-free and dairy-free plans in addition to traditional real food menus. Plus you can add and change recipes to your heart’s content.
- Family of eight or party of one… We’ve got you covered with fully customizable portion sizes.
- Dread grocery shopping? Our dynamic smart phone app makes shopping a breeze.
Plus handy bonuses like…
- A weekly timeline to help you spend the least time possible slaving away in the kitchen.
- Plan ahead options including a month’s recipes in advance, plus a double recipe each week to bank ‘fast food’ in the freezer.
Click here to subscribe to Real Plans now
Traditional, Paleo, Vegetarian, Gluten-free, and Dairy-free plans available
Our 30 day money back guarantee makes Real Plans RISK FREE!
This post was generously contributed by Monica Ford of Real Food Devotee. Monica’s delicious recipes will make your mouth water and your tummy purr. If you’re lucky enough to live in Los Angeles, Real Food Devotee can make your life easier by delivering nutrient dense goodies directly to your door.
photo credit: An Eye Full Studio