Growing up, I mostly despised tomatoes with two exceptions: tomatoes fresh from the vine still warm from the hot sun and Campbell’s tomato soup. So imagine my joy as an adult when I discovered the existence of real, homemade garden tomato soup. Heaven.
Our garden is kicking out a beautiful crop of summer tomatoes and we are enjoying them in salsa, chipotle salsa, and pretty much any way you can imagine a tomato. As for this soup, we are making big batches to freeze and enjoy all winter long. Mmm-mmm-good takes on a whole new meaning.
Garden tomato soup ingredients
- 8 slices thick-cut bacon, from forage fed hogs
- 2 T. butter, from grass fed cows
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 1 T. sea salt
- 1 rib of celery
- 1 medium carrot
- 8 cloves garlic
- 3 T. tomato paste – my favorite tomato paste
- 1 T. sprouted flour – buy sprouted flour here
- 4 cups chicken stock – learn to make chicken bone broth here
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 pounds fresh garden tomatoes (or use 1 BPA-free can (28 oz.) diced tomatoes in a pinch)
- 1/2 cup raw cream, from grass fed cows – find raw dairy here
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
On the side
- Raw cheddar cheese, from grass-fed cows
- Sourdough bread
- Butter, from grass-fed cows
Gluten free/dairy free options
- Replace sprouted flour with 1/2 T. arrowroot powder
- Omit raw cream and butter
- Serve with a simple green salad dressed with olive oil, lemon, and salt
Garden tomato soup method
- Cook bacon in a large saucepan over medium heat until crisp. Then remove bacon from pan and set aside on a paper towel to drain. While the bacon is cooking, chop the onion, celery and carrots, coarsely. Mince the garlic.
- To peel the tomatoes:
- Place a pot of water on the stove and let it come to a rolling boil. Place your bowl of ice water next to the stove so it is easily accessible.
- Using a sharp knife, slice a shallow X into the bottom of the tomato (opposite the stem side). Gently place the tomatoes into the boiling water for 20-30 seconds, but no longer.
- Remove the tomatoes immediately from the boiling water using a slotted spoon and submerge in ice bath. Now the skin should slide off fairly easily. Once, peeled, coarsely chop and set aside.
- Leave bacon fat in the pan. Add butter, onion, celery, carrot, and garlic and sauté until soft, about 10 minutes.
- Add tomato paste, and cook, stirring, until lightly caramelized, about 3 minutes.
- Sprinkle in flour and cook about 2 minutes more.
- Add stock, thyme, bay leaf, and tomatoes, and simmer on medium-low for about 30 minutes.
- Remove from heat, remove thyme and bay leaf, and puree with an immersion blender. If you need to use a standing blender, blend in small batches to avoid burning yourself on exploding hot soup. Stir in raw cream, and season with salt and pepper.
- Serve with warm sourdough bread, butter, and raw cheddar cheese. Learn how to make a good-for-you grilled cheese sandwich here that goes GREAT with this soup.
- Save the bacon for another meal, add to grilled cheese sandwiches, or if GF/DF crumble bacon over your side salad.
Got Real Plans?
Do you ever wonder how a real foodie gets it all done?
I am thrilled to introduce Real Plans – our new online meal planner that will revolutionize the way you get dinner on the table.
- Stuck in a rut with the same old dinners? Our delicious, homestyle recipes are kitchen-tested and family-approved.
- Got special dietary restrictions or tastes? We offer paleo, vegetarian, gluten-free and dairy-free plans in addition to traditional real food menus. Plus you can add and change recipes to your heart’s content.
- Family of eight or party of one… We’ve got you covered with fully customizable portion sizes.
- Dread grocery shopping? Our dynamic smartphone app makes shopping a breeze.
Plus smart bonuses like…
- A weekly timeline to help you spend the least time possible slaving away in the kitchen.
- Plan ahead options including a month’s recipes in advance, plus a double recipe each week to bank ‘fast food’ in the freezer.
Click here to subscribe to Real Plans now
Traditional, Paleo, Vegetarian, Gluten-free, and Dairy-free plans available
Our 30-day money back guarantee makes it RISK FREE!