When I was first introduced to real food and it’s seductive healing powers, I immediately fell madly in love. But, as in many relationships, after the honeymoon phase began to give way to a lovely and healthy day to day routine, I admit I missed a few of the convenient and wild indulgences of my previous life.
One of the things I missed was convenience. Yummy little, finger lickin’, convenience treats. I hadn’t yet had the epiphany that we need not live without any dish or treat. That no matter how iconic or convenient the treat, they could all be created with real ingredients and *SHOCKING* could be created in my little ol’ kitchen!
So, it is with great joy that I encourage you to create this lovely, easy homemade BBQ sauce in your kitchen. Make a large batch and freeze it in smaller portions so that you are ever ready with a fast food condiment. We deserve treats and we deserve health!!
Pair with these Classic Chicken Nuggets. They just happen to be grain free and delicious.
[Holistic Squid note: I just love that this easy homemade bbq sauce is made with bone broth, converting the usual junky, high fructose laden condiment into a healing, nutrient dense wonder food! Enjoy! Want the health benefits of bone broth, but don’t want to make your own? Buy bone broth online here.]
BBQ dipping sauce ingredients
- 1-finely diced white onion
- 1 ½ heads of garlic, shredded
- 4 cups beef bone broth – learn how to make beef bone broth here
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups molasses
- ½ teaspoons allspice
- 2 tablespoons celery salt
- 3 cups tomato paste
- ¾ cup spicy mustard
- 3 teaspoons horse radish
BBQ dipping sauce method
- Heat onions & garlic in 4 cups bone broth on medium stove heat.
- Turn stove heat down to low.
- Add all other ingredients, and combine completely by stirring.
- All sauce to cook for 45 minutes – 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- At this point, test the thickness of your sauce. When you’re happy with the consistency, remove it from the heat.
- If you want a thicker sauce continue to cook down with occasional stirring.
- If you want a thinner sauce, add ¼ cup bone broth or water at a time until you reach the desired consistency.
Yields: 3 quarts
Want more delicious simplicity in your life?
Even for the most organized families, getting healthy and delicious meals on the table can be such a challenge.
That’s why my hubby and I created Real Plans – our online meal planner that will revolutionize the way you feed your family.
- Stuck in a rut with the same old dinners? Our delicious, home-style recipes are kitchen-tested and family-approved.
- Got special dietary restrictions or tastes? We offer paleo, vegetarian, gluten-free and dairy-free plans in addition to traditional real food menus. Plus you can add and change recipes to your heart’s content.
- Family of eight or party of one… We’ve got you covered with fully customizable portion sizes.
- Dread grocery shopping? Our dynamic smart phone app makes shopping a breeze.
Plus handy bonuses like…
- A weekly timeline to help you spend the least time possible slaving away in the kitchen.
- Plan ahead options including a month’s recipes in advance, plus a double recipe each week to bank ‘fast food’ in the freezer.
Click here to subscribe to Real Plans now
Traditional, Paleo, Vegetarian, Gluten-free, and Dairy-free plans available
Our 30 day money back guarantee makes Real Plans RISK FREE!
This post was generously contributed by Monica Ford of Real Food Devotee. Monica’s delicious recipes will make your mouth water and your tummy purr. If you’re lucky enough to live in Los Angeles, Real Food Devotee can make your life easier by delivering nutrient dense goodies directly to your door.
photo credit: An Eye Full Studio