My name is Monica and I am a recovering Chicken Nugget Fiend. Yes, as a youngster, I happily bounced through the golden arches for the delicious morsels. Now that I’ve peered behind the scenes of that culinary process….EEEEEEKS!!! Let’s make our own delicious and nutritious homemade chicken nuggets instead.
These are fantastically fun snacks for the kids and serving these with yummy dipping sauces really takes me back! Check out this homemade BBQ sauce – I think you’ll love it.
Homemade chicken nuggets ingredients
- 2 lbs chicken breast*
- 2-3 eggs**
- 1 cup blanched almond flour – get almond flour here
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot – get arrowroot here
- 2 tablespoons Pecorino Romano
- 2 tablespoons chopped dehydrated onions – get dehydrated onion flakes here
- 1 ½ teaspoon unrefined sea salt – get sea salt here
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne
Homemade chicken nuggets method
- Chop chicken into 2 inch nuggets.
- Using a whisk or fork to mix blanched almond flour and all spices in one bowl.
- Beat eggs in another bowl.
- Submerge a each chicken nugget in egg wash and then dredge in almond flour spice mixture.
- Carefully lay each nugget on a parchment lined baking sheet. Do not crowd.
- Bake in oven preheated to 400° for 25 minutes or until golden brown.
*You may also use dark meat but I find breast meat gives you the classic chicken nuggets to perfection.
**If you have extra egg whites around, this is a great place to use them.
This post was generously contributed by Monica Ford of Real Food Devotee. If you’re lucky enough to live in Los Angeles, Real Food Devotee can make your life easier by delivering nutrient dense goodies directly to your door.
photo credit: An Eye Full Studio