One of the things I love the most about our real food lifestyle is that nearly every junk food favorite can magically be transformed into a version that not only tastes just as good (or much, much better), but is also surprisingly healthy.
Take nachos for example. There’s really no arguing that there are NO health benefits to GMO corn chips fried in rancid vegetable oils, smothered in processed cheese, and laden with factory-farmed meat and various canned toppings.
But… when you use sprouted corn tortillas and fry them in coconut oil; top them with cheese and sour cream from grass fed cows; and garnish with probiotic-rich cultured salsa, fresh avocado, and pasture-raised meat (bonus if you use chili made with liver!) – your junky nachos have become a superfood that your entire family will devour.
Just a word of warning though – junky nachos may never taste as good again. Sorry and you’re welcome.
Ingredients for nachos – real food style
- One dozen sprouted corn tortillas – buy in bulk online and freeze
- 2-3 cups coconut oil (depending on the size of your pan, you want at least 3⁄4 inch of oil) – get coconut oil in bulk here
- Leftover chili, chicken, or carnitas (if you have some, otherwise skip it)
- 8 oz. cheddar cheese – from grass fed cows
- 2 avocados, chopped
- Cultured salsa – get the recipe for cultured chipotle salsa here
- 3⁄4 cup sour cream (from grass fed cows)
Method for nachos – real food style
- Preheat oven to 375F. Using a cleaver or pizza cutter, cut tortillas into eighths.
- Heat fat in a large skillet until shimmering. Add the tortillas in a single layer. Place a mesh strainer above a large bowl. Fry until lightly golden and crispy, and then transfer to mesh strainer – think fast food french fry draining. Continue frying in batches taking care to avoid spatter from the hot oil.
- Line baking sheet with parchment. Arrange fried chips into a thin layer. Add optional meat. Shred the cheddar cheese and sprinkle atop the tortilla chips.
- Place nachos in oven for 3-5 minutes or until cheese has just melted.
- Remove nachos and garnish with avocado. Serve immediately with cultured salsa and sour cream on the side.
Got Real Plans?
Do you ever wonder how a real foodie gets it all done?
I am thrilled to introduce Real Plans – our new online meal planner that will revolutionize the way you get dinner on the table.
- Stuck in a rut with the same old dinners? Our delicious, homestyle recipes are kitchen-tested and family-approved.
- Got special dietary restrictions or tastes? We offer paleo, vegetarian, gluten-free and dairy-free plans in addition to traditional real food menus. Plus you can add and change recipes to your heart’s content.
- Family of eight or party of one… We’ve got you covered with fully customizable portion sizes.
- Dread grocery shopping? Our dynamic smartphone app makes shopping a breeze.
Plus smart bonuses like…
- A weekly timeline to help you spend the least time possible slaving away in the kitchen.
- Plan ahead options including a month’s recipes in advance, plus a double recipe each week to bank ‘fast food’ in the freezer.
Click here to subscribe to Real Plans now
Traditional, Paleo, Vegetarian, Gluten-free, and Dairy-free plans available
Our 30-day money back guarantee makes it RISK FREE!